Digital Watermark (Seeking Product Recommendation)

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by wjastrow, Jan 9, 2005.

1. wjastrow

wjastrow TPF Noob!

Hello.

I've started to persue the various products available for digital watermark and thought I'd start with a post here rather than download and evaluate offerings on my own.

I don't know if the model or resolution of the camera matter (it shouldn't, I would think?) but I can provide that information if it is relevant.

My understanding is that a digital watermark effectively "protects" your work but what prevents someone from "removing" the watermark and claiming an image as their own?

Is it really worth the trouble?

I look forward to your thoughts on these questions.

Thanks in advance.

2. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

In my opinion, nothing. Similar stuff in other forms of media like music and video (digital rights managment) never works.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are companies that you can pay to digitall watermark your image, and it's not something that shows up on the image. It's embedded and your images can be tracked anywhere they are used without your permission. Anywhere online that is.

http://www.digimarc.com/watermark/mypicturemarc/

4. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

That technology looks pretty easy to defeat. I'm curious now though; anybody have a watermarked image I could play with for awhile? I'd love to try :)

5. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Easy to defeat how?

I doubt many hackers and software pirates are responsible for stealing and reusing fine art photography and other artwork. It's mostly non professional graphic designers and kids, or people on forums trying to pass off someone elses photos as their own. I hardly think they have the know how to defeat this technology. It's used by professionals world wide with great sucess.

6. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

Couldn't you just load the image into a basic photo editor (maybe a freeware one, if adobe has an agreement with digimarc to refuse editing operations on watermarked images) and resample it at a slightly different size, say plus or minus 1 pixel in each dimension? Since the watermark is embedded in the image data itself this would probably destroy it, no? No sophisticated software hacking or cryptanalysis required :)

7. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not that simple. You should read up on their site.

This is a small excerpt:

The watermarks can be removed, sure, but at what cost to image quality? If you have to degrade the quality to the point where it's unusable to get rid of the water mark, then it's done it's job.

This software doesn't prevent your images from being stolen or used. It gives you the ability to find out when it's happened, and by whom, and take appropriate legal action. Read the faq for more info.