Digital?

do you all guys use digital cameras?

• Total voters
I can appreciate digital for its convenience and instant results - BUT I would never be able to advance into some of the alternative photographic techniques I do without film. And I think looking at and holding a beautifully exposed archival B&W print is kind of magical. :) Film will always rule for me.

I got into photography with digital and have never touched a film camera (other than a disposable one). I don't think I would have picked photography up as a hobby if it wern't for digital cameras. They are a big money saver in the long run.

I'm a big film guy. I do enjoy dig from time to time. My dad just bought a D70 for his birthday. Havent been able to try it out yet but I am looking forward :p. Still film is defiantly prefered

We have a Digital camera that my wife uses for the most part. I shoot some with it but mostly I shoot 35mm format.

I have shot with both, and prefer my digital Canon 10D. I used to have a G1 and while it was a nice camera for the money the prints didn't compare to a traditional film camera. The 10D is a digital SLR so I don't feel I am losing anything. Also, as a bonus I can show my clients their pictures before I leave a shoot and they can make sure we got some they like, and pick out the favorites.

I voted "no" even though I just posted a bunch of digi cam pics. 99% of my photography is BW film, and most of the remaining 1% is color film.

I only said yes because I have a small one, and I do use it along with my slr...it depends on what job i need to do to determine which i use.

It depends of the subject and usage. I do alot of aviation photography and for the most part I use the images primarily on my web site, so digital is the preferred method. When I photograph other subject, especially ones I know will be printed or enlarged I prefer film.

I see, I use my old Praktica MTL 5B. However, I can't imagine to live without it :) (gotta admit that I own a digital one too, but I don't really use it, aint nothing of that high grade stuff). So I prefer my Praktica with her 3 Objectives and her Nikon flash. But I agree Scott WRG Editor, it really depends on the subject and usage, but don't let that old good film die!

i got the impression there were more film people at this forum than digital.
maybe your topic title scared them away

Digital here. I'm aware of the quality of the film, which is far ahead at this juncture. But I do not have the patience to deal with the delay. If I were a pro, then that might have been a different story. But as a student, I prefer instant results and move on.

Talking about careers; I think most photographic occupation calls for a digital right now. Prime examples - Photo journalism, wedding etc.

Cheers!

Digital is too fast and right now for me. I enjoy the time consuming process of sitting there with a tank and chemicals processing the film and then spending countless hours in the darkroom trying to get the print just right. With digital that can all be done in a fraction of the time. Film is more rewarding if you ask me. And I just don't like the look and lack of archivalness of digitalness...but what do I know...I'm just a newbie here

Yes, and I don't even have a DSLR! I just use my Olympus PnS. And it's only 5 MP's. Soon I'll be getting an old Canon AE-1 for practice with film. After that I'll start saving for a Digital Rebel.

Most reactions

Back