Dilemma

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ejazzle, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i am looking into gettin a waterproof housing for my nikon d300. as of right now i have a 18-55 kit lens, 50mm f/1.4 and a 55-200. i also have an Sb-800. i am going to be using the housing for mostly snorkeling(spearfishing etc) and also for wakeskating.
    this is the housing i am interested in buying
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._EM_U_AXP100_U_AXP100_Underwater_Housing.html

has anyone ever used this housing or heard anything about it? i have heard some good and some bad. also does anyone else have any suggestions for a semi cheap housing? i dont feel like spenind 1500 on a housing again so i was thinkin about buying this one and having that extra 1000 sittin in my pocket for a wide angle a little down the road.

thanks everyone!

2. xstephenx

xstephenx TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally would be extremely hesitant to spend that little on a case. Sure the ikelite/subal/etc. are more expensive, but they are also (I would assume) less likely to fail. I sure wouldn't want to be 50-80' down (my common spearfishing depths) and watch a bunch of water start flooding my camera because the case wasn't actually designed to go that deep. It just seems like something I wouldn't want to risk with a $2000 camera.

I do understand you wanting to save money, I want to start taking pictures when diving, but I am far too poor to afford $1500 for a housing + $500 for the port + strobes/etc. If I dropped the $2-3000 required to start underwater with my D80 I wouldn't be able to afford to dive for another 6 months.

3. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thats the reason why i was thinking about just buying this housing. so i dont have to work 24/7 for the next six months lol.
    if i dont need to spend 1500 why should i? what is a port?