Dim light......please help.....PLEASE! :)

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by hammerhead_05, Jul 27, 2007.

1. hammerhead_05

hammerhead_05 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi......quick question to you all....and i am on a very tight schedule. I just visited the chuch I am going to photograph tomorrow...for a wedding. It was a rehersal wedding tonight....but one MAJOR problem - there isn't enough light....even when i increased the ISO to 400.....my for a proper exposure....i need to have an exposure of about 2/100 of a second. THATS CRAZY. if i increase to 800 ISO...it looks like crap! Im shakin' in my boots right now....ANY help would be most appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! thank you all inadvance

Brock

2. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, what I have done is used one or two 1,000 to 1500 watt bulbs on a tripod to light up the front of the church. If it is on wide and back from the altar it will not disturb the priest as much as flash use. It will also prevent red eye, which would be a problem if you stuck to flash use.

skieur

3. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You really only have 2 options, either throw more light on it, or throw faster glass on your camera. If you are shooting w/ a good prime like f/1.4 or 1.8 you should be able to squeak out a faster shutter speed at iso 400, no?

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Define looks like crap. If I crank my camera up to ISO1250 and zoom it in on the screen it looks noisy as heck one may say "crap", but if I run it through noise ninja and then print off an 12x8 it looks more than acceptable.

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dim light is not uncommon with weddings. In most churches, there often not much success to be had trying to shoot with available light. At the wedding I recently shot, I needed ISO 1600-3200 to hand hold at 2.8 with a 50mm lens and get an acceptable shutter speed.

Wedding photography = flash photography.

6. hammerhead_05

hammerhead_05 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    when i say "look like crap", i guess i am comparing it to what i usually shoot in, 100-200 ISO. There is a major difference. I have to leave here in a couple hours.....but.....would it be better to shoot with a high ISO to achieve the look and feel that you want............or would it be better to have a crisper image by using a lower ISO - which would give me a better looking print......?!?!?!:confused: Again, ANY comment would be most appreciated! Thanx to all who have commented already. :D

|Brock

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use the high iso and later put your photos through NeatImage or NoiseNinja. It is easier to "clean up" noise than to put a motion blurred pic back into its sharpness (for that is impossible).

Hey - and: good luck!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand: welcome to ThePhotoForum.
    We now expect to SEE some of the outcome of your wedding shoot! Eh? ;)

8. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another vote for faster glass (beg or borrow)?