Dining in the rain

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in france so another addition to the eating seriese, it turns out that the reason the fly was clutching the bug in its legs was to save it as a gift for a potential mate, in the evening all the flys pair up and give thir offerings and hang around for the rest of the evening like this...

fly_dinner_02.jpg

spider_dinner_02.jpg

Edited this to add a couple more in the same seriese of dining shots :), hope you like them.

mantid_20.jpg

mantid_19.jpg

My sons pet eating (thanks and sorry doenoe i already changed them for some others, i couldnt make up my mind which ones to use)

In a garden in typical northern france's summertime these guys were having a feast in the rain

fly_dinner_01.jpg

spider_dinner_01.jpg

bug_dinner_01.jpg

bug_dinner_02.jpg

ant_dinner_02.jpg

And because it was so wet these two local female and male scorpion flies, that are normally too wary to hang around were nice and lethargic

scorpionfly_10.jpg

female

scorpionfly_11.jpg

male

scorpionfly.jpg

Female eating

And some old ones in the same vain

fly.jpg

spider4.jpg

I should probably mention that even though there isnt much rain visible it was really pelting down (hence the title) and had got rapidly cold so all the insects were hiding under leavs and stuff but not very active, so easy to approach, all of the eating ones were shot in less than an hour.

Sorry they seem to have lost some detail in downsizing and compressing, due to not having changed the settings on father in-laws pc, thanks for looking and hope it didnt disturb lunch ;)

tim

Great macros. I think I lile # 2, 5, 6 and 7 the most. These are especially good considering the conditions you took them under :thumbup: :thumbup:

BRILLIANT photos of insects feeding on insects (in most cases), some suffer just a TINY bit from the unfortunate light conditions, but most are tack sharp and clear and very interesting to look at. No lunch or dinner can be disturbed by these, not for me, that is.

I totally LOVE that spider photo! Whoa! Great!

Great shots, but eghr... disgusting subjects :lol:

kinau, thanks, and odd that everything was eaing at the same time?!?

Many thanks Corinna, and for the crit, it is worth a thousand compliments to me. The ring flash only works on full power on manual as it is so old, but it helps as it gives a very high f stop, early 30s so nice on DOF but a very sharp fall off where anything that isnt very close gets very quickly black and unlit, i am not quite sure how to get over it without some kind of reflector that is bound to scare the subject?

Digital flower it is funny how different people like different ones, i wasnt going to put number two in at all but my better half said it was the best of the lot, don't let on to her IF she was in any way right though please :)

tim

Most reactions

Back