Dipping my toes into the photography pool!

Wisconsin_Bob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just started playing with my new Digital Rebel XT. This was taken with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm AF). No PP other than downsizing from 8.1MP. Thoughts, suggestions and other criticism welcomed. :D

jessicainthought.jpg

She's a darling. Love the red hair and her eyes. However, the composition doesn't work for me and I think the lighting (on board flash is a guess) is harsh (the excessive shadows under the chin) and a bit flat.

Keep on shooting and posting. We all gain that way. Thanks for sharing.

She's a darling. Love the red hair and her eyes. However, the composition doesn't work for me and I think the lighting (on board flash is a guess) is harsh (the excessive shadows under the chin) and a bit flat.

Keep on shooting and posting. We all gain that way. Thanks for sharing.

What exactly do you mean by composition? I guess my brain doesn't compute that term :) You are spot on about the flash....this is probably one of those where I would be well served by a flash I could bounce off the ceiling right?

very gorgeous red hair and blue eyes. The image needs to be sharpened a bit and a little more contrast. Her face is a bit too bright. Also the shadows are common with the angle. It is usually associated with the flash being above the camera

girl.jpg

i sharpened the image for you and fixed the contrast a bit

I don't think I can say exactly, but the feeling I got when viewing this was that it is a typical snapshot. Whereas, it's a viewpoint of the adult looking down at the child. With the particular lighting you have, it promotes a domimeering aspect IMO.

Close-ups aren't a bad thing and your focus on the eyes are spot on, but try different PoV's (Point of View). Try get down to eye level with her or even below her eye level. I don't know if I have explained myself very well.

very gorgeous red hair and blue eyes. The image needs to be sharpened a bit and a little more contrast. Her face is a bit too bright. Also the shadows are common with the angle. It is usually associated with the flash being above the camera

girl.jpg

i sharpened the image for you and fixed the contrast a bit

I don't think I can say exactly, but the feeling I got when viewing this was that it is a typical snapshot. Whereas, it's a viewpoint of the adult looking down at the child. With the particular lighting you have, it promotes a domimeering aspect IMO.

Close-ups aren't a bad thing and your focus on the eyes are spot on, but try different PoV's (Point of View). Try get down to eye level with her or even below her eye level. I don't know if I have explained myself very well.

Silver,

Every time I tried sharpening, I ended up with a "grainy" picture, and it looks like you got the same effect as me. I really, really struggle to get clean, sharp pics. It seems like nearly every picture I've ever taken (and I mean that literally) looks soft. As for the bright face, a) she is very pale and b) stupid flash :)

Kundalini,

I understand what you're saying. I was mostly just messing with the manual functions of my camera, not really thinking about composition so much (not to mention my living room was a disaster area, so I was trying not to get it in the pic, LOL). It's supposed to be nice (for Wisconsin in February) this weekend, so I'm taking the camera and the cutie to the park to try for some better shots (and more light!!).

Thanks again for the criticism, and suggestions!

Here's another one. I cropped it down, did some adjustment to contrast and sharpness. POV sucks, but I thought it was cute :)

AwJeez.jpg

Silver,

Every time I tried sharpening, I ended up with a "grainy" picture, and it looks like you got the same effect as me. I really, really struggle to get clean, sharp pics. It seems like nearly every picture I've ever taken (and I mean that literally) looks soft. As for the bright face, a) she is very pale and b) stupid flash :)

Kundalini,

I understand what you're saying. I was mostly just messing with the manual functions of my camera, not really thinking about composition so much (not to mention my living room was a disaster area, so I was trying not to get it in the pic, LOL). It's supposed to be nice (for Wisconsin in February) this weekend, so I'm taking the camera and the cutie to the park to try for some better shots (and more light!!).

Thanks again for the criticism, and suggestions!

In digital cameras all images turn out to be soft. Mostly because everything is through light and pixels not a negative.
I had softened the image a bit where it is not totally grainy.

What photo program do you use to edit. I have photoshop CS3 and I have been taught how to sharpen through using smart sharpening.

girl-1.jpg

Sorry for not commenting earlier about your work with DoF (depth of field). Thanks! :lol: The white bits would have been much more distracting without a shallow DoF.

Kudos on you for going manual. That's the best way to learn how to work your camera. If you're interested , I found the book Understanding Exposure quite valuable in grasping the principles of correct exposue.

You can create very effective lighting on the cheap. But the on board flash is not the way to go IMO. When the time is right for you, look into off camera flash. It will open a new world for you to capture that beautiful little child.

Silver,

I use the Gimp. Cheap. I have very little money to throw at my new, expensive hobby :) That and I'm not terribly sure how to use all the little functions therein. I'm basically just taking pictures and playing with them in the program to see what things do. Maybe one of these millenia when I get a little better at this, I could justify Photoshop. Unless I can figure out how to make the Gimp do what I want (which very well could be possible!).

Kundalini,

I'm going for the book! Some rave reviews! Also, once the budget is back in order, a good flash will probably be my first purchase (even before a a lens!).

You two have given me lots of food for thought, and I appreciate it!

Silver,

I use the Gimp. Cheap. I have very little money to throw at my new, expensive hobby :) That and I'm not terribly sure how to use all the little functions therein. I'm basically just taking pictures and playing with them in the program to see what things do. Maybe one of these millenia when I get a little better at this, I could justify Photoshop. Unless I can figure out how to make the Gimp do what I want (which very well could be possible!).

Kundalini,

I'm going for the book! Some rave reviews! Also, once the budget is back in order, a good flash will probably be my first purchase (even before a a lens!).

You two have given me lots of food for thought, and I appreciate it!

I have only used gimp a few times only to do background effects and custom graphics. it is a good program to start with also

I hope the remainder of your days here on TPF are fruitful. Mostly, we're a friendly lot. Don't hesitate to ask questions, post photos and give your own opinions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back