Dipping toe in medium format water...help.

For $300 or less, you're looking at an RB67 if you want 6x7. It is a very heavy camera, especially if you add a metering prism. A Pentax67 would be preferable, but more expensive.

For the price, you can opt for a Mamiya TLR, either the 330 or the 220. They are light weight with a very smooth shutter, preferable for hand held shots. It is 6X6 format, and takes either 120 or 220 rolls. As with any used camera, just make sure it is guaranteed to work.

I’ve owned an RB, a 645 Super, a Mamiya 6, and a couple TLR’s, preferring the latter two for handling.

It's quite odd to hear me say this, but it really doesn't matter how you start filming with medium format.

I'd say I was a departure from the herd by buying a Spartus Full Vue camera as my first medium format camera. I still like to shoot it from time to time, but judging the light conditions is pretty much a crapshoot even with a light meter.

Don't discount a TLR with a handheld light meter. I bought my Ricohflex IIIb for about 15 bucks and an interesting old FirstFlex for about 20 bucks. I put my time in getting them to work again, but to me, it was a worthwhile experience making an old camera rise from the ashes.

So whether or not this is what you should do, I don't know. That's how I started into MF photography, and it's the only way I shoot to this day. Two vintage TLRs (one loaded with color, the other B&W) with a 3 dollar flexible tripod, vintage $1 light meter rebuilt by your's truly, and a camera bag I dug out of the dumpster behind my dorm room. My light meter really needs an upgrade, but otherwise I couldn't be happier. I'm presently keeping an eye out for a Super Ricohflex as I think it would be more versatile than the IIIb, but right now my money is tied up elsewhere anyway...

It's not my fault I'm poor :lmao:

I'm glad you had fun with that Rollei. They're so fun to use AND people like to talk about them.

Now go shoot that Hassy!

Most reactions

Back