Direct Lighting Product Photography

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by Jessica332, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jessica332

Jessica332 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm interested if anyone here has any advice on achieving good product photography using direct light for a pronounced shadow.

You can look here for some examples of what I mean: Lapis Facial Oil

They use direct light in every product hero shot (or nearly every). They pull it off well, with the shadows in the same direction each time. They use a 90 degree white backdrop to help pull it off. Glare is never excessive, but the products - usually in glass - don't show excessive glare.

What lightning sources can be used to achieve this (with the exception of natural sunlight)? Any advice for mimicking the style?

Thank you!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Use a single light source. In their example the light comes from the right. Place the light at about 1 o'clock and angle it toward the bottle from the side, so that you get a similar shadow. Do not I repeat do not use Two sources of light, but only one. A smallish softbox with the front diffuser removed could light this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jessica332

Jessica332 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any advice on what temperature the bulb should be?