dirt IN the lens

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by spiralout, Jan 2, 2005.

1. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

I have a D70, and I've noticed that there are quite a few small black spots scattered throughout any shot I take. I looked at my lens the other day and noticed a tiny bit of dirt UNDER the first lens element. I clean my lens after every use (dust the glass off and wipe the body down). The only reason I could think of is the day that I spent at a rock crushing plant. I have a zoom lens so perhaps some of the dirt could've found it's way into the lens. But I still have NO idea how it couldn't gotten up to the second element. Is this an expensive thing to get taken care of?

2. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds more like you have lots of dust on the CCD from changing lenses. The D-70 has a mirror lock up feature that will allow you to clean the CCD. Its in the manual but be careful.

Eric

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dust is a camera's worst enemy. I try to keep the camera shielded from dust as much as I can in any dusty environment. I have a few plastic shower caps from various hotels and motels and I fit the camera inside with the lens going through the opening. A small hole where the viewfinder is and I'm in business.

If you want to clean your camera/lens though, is best to take it to a camera shop.

Good luck.

4. doxx

doxx TPF Noob!

like Airic said - it's mostlikely some dust on the sensor,
    dust in/on the lens doesn't show as much...

5. C_lawgik

C_lawgik TPF Noob!

try taking pics of paintball. you deal with the dusta dn slow ith paint, sweat and grime.

6. will965

will965 TPF Noob!

7. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

No, it certainly isn't from changing lenses as I only have one. I just checked the ccd and it's spotless. I even blew it a few times for good measure. I noticed that there are a few visible spots when I look through the viewfinder, so I cleaned the mirror and ground glass. The spots are still there.