Dirt INSIDE the lens...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by spiralout, Jun 5, 2005.

1. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

A couple days ago I was doing some preliminary photos for a shot I planned to do later on in my "studio." Now I've always known that I had a bit of dust in my lens (on the first group of elements under the outermost lens of my 18-70 Nikkor), but it had never given me much trouble... until now, when I added 56mm of extension and shot at the minimum aperture:

[​IMG]

I take good care of my lens, so I have no idea how I got all that dust in there. Is there any way to get the interior of the lens cleaned? It's pretty much impossible to do macros now... :( :( :( :(

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont think theres a way to clean it...but are you sure its not the extension tube? if not send it back? maybe your warrenty will cover it...if not pay for it to be cleaned...I wouldnt try and do it yourself...

3. Wirral Bagpuss

Wirral Bagpuss TPF Noob!

Sorry to hear that :( :( Have you not got a lens cleaning kit? I have only just bought my Nikon D70 and lens, so i know how you feel !! I would be really upset if my lens got like that :( :( :( :( Wish i could help out !

4. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

OMG, I definitely wasn't planning to do it myself!

I'm quite sure that it isn't the extension tubes. I'm hoping that the warranty will cover this. :-(

5. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hope it does too...and sorry, I wasnt implying you were being dumb...good luck...but I dunno if theres much you can do yourself, but lens company, or local shop may be able to help.

Try jessops...:p

6. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Ouch, that is bad. But, it is a great shot ;)

7. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

got the same problem with my sigma lens, i can see dirt inside the lens when i hold it to the light and look through it and depending on what aperture i have it shows up on photos. The lens is only a month old and i cant understand how its got in there. and to make things worse i cant find the box it came in so i dont know if i will be able to return it!