Dirty Sensor is getting very frustrating

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SeanL, Jun 26, 2006.

1. SeanL

SeanL TPF Noob!

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if it isn't, could a mod please move it? Anyway, I have a D70, and I've been getting very frustrated with it lately because there seems to always be dust or specs on my sensor, and whenever I try to clean it with the brush I bought, it doesn't seem to help at all, sometimes it actually even makes it worse. Are there any cleaning products out there that you would reccomend? Thanks.

2. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never cleaned one myself but using a brush does not sound correct. The kits I have seen use what looks like a lintless Q-tip.

3. Bondseye

Bondseye TPF Noob!

Try a can of air. Also, if you know this already forgive me but never remove the lens with the camera powered on. The powered sensor is like a magnet to dust.

4. SeanL

SeanL TPF Noob!

I did thought about buying one of those keyboard air cans, I'll have to give it a try. I've also been told never to touch the mirror, is this true? Thanks.

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    NO NOT USE CANED AIR it’s to strong and you can damage the shutter and drive the dust deeper in to the cracks, use an air bulb and dry lens cloth to clean your camera. DSLR have a clear glass filter over sensor so it generally safety to clear, but IMO I would still stay away for touching it, also using lower f-stop help lessen the effect of dust

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. SeanL

SeanL TPF Noob!

Thanks Dan, I actually bought that same exact cleaner and wipes today at the store. I'll be sure to read that tutorial. Thanks.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, canned air often has an oily propellant that can condense on surfaces...you don't want an oily substance on your sensor.

If you are careful when you change lenses...dirt & dust on the sensor shouldn't be a big problem. I find that using the clone tool in Photoshop to remove the few dust spots is easier than constant cleaning.

9. TTPeter

TTPeter TPF Noob!

i heard of this, but i have a question, i also have a d70 and when i use mirror lock up to clean it it power has to be on the second i shut it off it closes ??how do i get around that one

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It should have a sensor cleaning mode that will lock up the mirror and hold the shutter open. Make sure you have a lot of battery power because if the battery dies, the shutter will close and may get ruined.

11. Bondseye

Bondseye TPF Noob!

Indeed, you must be careful to by a camera friendly can of air with out oils. Also, it is dangerous in untrained hands I suppose. I've been doing it for so long without a problem it never crossed my mind.
    I also agree with the cloning fix though that doesn't ALWAYS work. The speck seems to get in the way 1 out of every 50 photos or so.

12. castrol

castrol TPF Noob!

[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Check how much dust you really have by shooting the sky stopped at 22, run auto-levels
    (optional), then view the image at actual pixels. By the way, make sure you take the shot
    during the day (ha, ha).

Holy crap... I just did this test. Unbelieveable. I don't even want to post the photo, that is
    how bad it is. Eek. Time to order a sensor cleaning kit.

[/FONT]