Disadvantages of advanced P&S over DSLR.

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the disadvantages of an advanced P&S to a low end DSLR?

What do you want a camera for?

I think it really depends on what you will be using your camera for, for me I started with canon S3is, its a good advanced point and shoot, and I used it to learn from, i recently bought a 30d , i didnt go with the rebel DSLR's as I was worried I would want to upgrade to soon after buying , I am a hobbiest, one day wanting to turn pro, but I need lots of practice first.

Try this link: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122413
and this one http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123050

-low light/indoor image quality
-focal flexibility
-lack of aperture range lessens you ability to create a story with your picture
-inability to control your flash for better pictures (like bouncing the flash upward)
-p&s cameras can have bad shutter lag

and I'm sure there's more I'm missing...

Having said that... you can still take great photo's with a point and shoot... just mostly in daylight outdoors...

So it's kinda up to you.... if your semi serious about getting into photography as a hobby I would dump the good point and shoot idea and get yourself an entry level dslr.....

-low light/indoor image quality
-focal flexibility
-lack of aperture range lessens you ability to create a story with your picture
-inability to control your flash for better pictures (like bouncing the flash upward)
-p&s cameras can have bad shutter lag

and I'm sure there's more I'm missing...

Having said that... you can still take great photo's with a point and shoot... just mostly in daylight outdoors...

So it's kinda up to you.... if your semi serious about getting into photography as a hobby I would dump the good point and shoot idea and get yourself an entry level dslr.....

a strong nod towards this point as most of my shots are indoors during gatherings

I am going to be shooting outdoor photography with this camera, mostly landscapes. I have never done photography before, but I'm sure I'll like it. I have already done some experimenting with my compact P&S, and so far I'm liking it.

Now, I got into the top show choir at my high school (which isn't easy), I got a very good report card, and my birthday is coming up so my mom said that she would spend $300 on a camera for my birthday. I am willing to pitch in another $50, $60 if necessary. However, all the DSLRs I am seeing are way above that, and I am having a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced one.

So, I am looking into advanced P&S. But, I don't want to upgrade a year or two after I get this camera, I want to be able to keep it for awhile. So my question is, will I want to upgrade to a DSLR as soon as a learn more about photography and get more into it, or should I settle with an advanced P&S, and have that be my photography camera? Or, should I make the extra investment to get a DSLR?

take it from a noob like me who decided to buy an 'advanced' p&s... wait till you are able to buy an entry level dslr... it's only been a few weeks and i am feeling totally restricted.

lol... since i'm saving up for my coming wedding though, and the fact that my fiance gave me hell for buying this camera, i'll be stuck with it for a while :lol:

I fyou wantto get into photography on a budget advanced point and shoot is the way forwar, it will help you have a better understanding of how things work, some like the S5IS by canon will allow you to attach specific lenses on to the body so you can get macro, fish eye, tele and wide angle, i used to have the wide angle for landscapes, the downside with the canon s5 is it is not great in low light. oh and you can also get various hacks which allow you to take pictures using RAW which means the camera saves alot more colour detail to your memory card.

I had my advanced point and shoot 2 years before i upgraded to the DSLR

I also started with a Canon S3 and while it was a good camera and I really liked it, after it was stolen there was no chance I would buy it again. The dSLRs just seemed so much superior and I felt limited with my S3. It is true that you can add stuff to Canon S2, S3, and S5's, but when you do that, you've already worked yourself up into the entry level dSLR price range.

Some of the points of why I'd get an SLR have already been listed, but here's the main ones:

-Less control of aperature (f2.7 on a P&S is closer to like f8 or something, it is NOT equivalent to SLR f-stops)
-Poorer low light performance
-Shutter lag
-Larger sensors in SLRs provide for overall better quality

There are some on this board who really like having a P&S for times when an SLR is just too big to carry around. That might be an issue with you, I don't know.

A Canon Rebel XT ($450 new w/ kit lens) would be the way I'd go. You can find them for less used. Don't be afraid to buy used if it's the only way you can get something superior to what you can budget new.

I don't know if this guy has sold it or not, but a couple of weeks ago a guy was selling his for $350 here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117457

If you wanna take pictures get a P&S

If you wanna get into photography get a DSLR

So basicly if you want to "make" a picture and experiment and use cool techniques you will definetly want a DSLR. But if you just want to take pictures to document things and events but don't wanna work just get an advanced P&S.

I personaly think you should go DSLR. You can find used d40 kits on craigslist for under $350.

I am going to be shooting outdoor photography with this camera, mostly landscapes. I have never done photography before, but I'm sure I'll like it. I have already done some experimenting with my compact P&S, and so far I'm liking it.

Now, I got into the top show choir at my high school (which isn't easy), I got a very good report card, and my birthday is coming up so my mom said that she would spend $300 on a camera for my birthday. I am willing to pitch in another $50, $60 if necessary. However, all the DSLRs I am seeing are way above that, and I am having a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced one.

So, I am looking into advanced P&S. But, I don't want to upgrade a year or two after I get this camera, I want to be able to keep it for awhile. So my question is, will I want to upgrade to a DSLR as soon as a learn more about photography and get more into it, or should I settle with an advanced P&S, and have that be my photography camera? Or, should I make the extra investment to get a DSLR?

How long until you get a job? Seriously.

You can find well taken care of used DSLR's for under $300, but it never stops there. One of the major reasons for owning a DSLR is the choice of lenses available for each system. Cheap lenses are just that cheap lenses. If you want quality it's expensive. No matter what company you go with, you'll probably be able to find a bargain lens for $80, a few decent ones for $300, but if you want actual quality, you're looking $500+ per lens. I don't want to be a downer, but if you don't have the money to eventually put into other accessories, you may end up frustrated with what you have.

I just spent $1700 on a lens about twenty minutes ago. So if you're old enough to get a job, then look for a quality used DSLR and go from there. If you think you're just going to get the camera and not spend another dime on it, then think long and hard. Photography is expensive, even when you try to do it cheap.

Save up a bit and get an inexpensive DSLR. You'll soon be glad you did so.P&S cameras can be quite limiting at times however note that (almost) any camera can take a good picture.

How long until you get a job? Seriously.

You can find well taken care of used DSLR's for under $300, but it never stops there. One of the major reasons for owning a DSLR is the choice of lenses available for each system. Cheap lenses are just that cheap lenses. If you want quality it's expensive. No matter what company you go with, you'll probably be able to find a bargain lens for $80, a few decent ones for $300, but if you want actual quality, you're looking $500+ per lens. I don't want to be a downer, but if you don't have the money to eventually put into other accessories, you may end up frustrated with what you have.

I just spent $1700 on a lens about twenty minutes ago. So if you're old enough to get a job, then look for a quality used DSLR and go from there. If you think you're just going to get the camera and not spend another dime on it, then think long and hard. Photography is expensive, even when you try to do it cheap.
I am not going to be extremely serious about this. I am taking a class this summer, therefore I will not have time for a job. Maybe next summer.

I am not ready to pour thousands of dollars into a hobby. Later on, I may upgrade the lenses, however I have to be completely serious that this is what I really like to do before I spend serious cash on it. I have to get my feet wet. If I feel I need to upgrade, then I will, however I am looking for something good that will start me off, something that I can gradually upgrade as I get more money.

I understand that Photography is not a cheap hobby, but again, I want to get started, and not until I really like it (and I get a job) will a start pouring money into higher end equipment.

I am not going to be extremely serious about this. I am taking a class this summer, therefore I will not have time for a job. Maybe next summer.

all the more reason to wait till you can afford a dslr. i don't know how your class will run, but for me, i'll have to have my own camera to bring to class... once i enroll anyway.. lol:lol:

personally, i would find it unfortunate that i am not making new discoveries on the camera that i plan to stick with for a long time.

I am not ready to pour thousands of dollars into a hobby. Later on, I may upgrade the lenses, however I have to be completely serious that this is what I really like to do before I spend serious cash on it. I have to get my feet wet. If I feel I need to upgrade, then I will, however I am looking for something good that will start me off, something that I can gradually upgrade as I get more money.
that's the same reasoning i used when i bought my Olympus. i have to admit, the learning curve is a little steep when you're in control of all the settings.... and i thought buying the 'bridge' camera would help me get my feet wet too. i find myself getting frustrated when the pictures i want don't turn out the way they do. it's not the camera's fault though. why not use the 'wading' period as a learning period so that when you do feel you want to get serious, you've already got the knowledge and experience?

i've mentioned that i feel limited with my advanced p&s... however, that does not mean i can take great pictures with it yet. you mentioned that you don't want to be upgrading in a year or two... there's nothing wrong with already having the body then buying the lenses you need later on, rather than having a perfectly good p&s that you are not happy with.

I understand that Photography is not a cheap hobby, but again, I want to get started, and not until I really like it (and I get a job) will a start pouring money into higher end equipment.
i would look into some of the suggestions others have said regarding used cameras.

with technology moving so fast these days, bridge/advanced p&s/prosumer cameras are, for the most part, better than the models before. there's always a 'reason' to upgrade... lol.

How long has it been now that you've had your current camera? if it has been a while, what's a few more months?

sorry if i seem too aggressive with my comments. take it from me, i regret buying my camera solely for the reason of 'not being serious and i don't have the money'... had i known all the things i've learned in the last couple of weeks (through this site, actually), i definitely would have saved up, did more research, and used my Olympus as an auction prize at my engagement party...

all the more reason to wait till you can afford a dslr. i don't know how your class will run, but for me, i'll have to have my own camera to bring to class... once i enroll anyway.. lol:lol:

Actually, I am taking PE to get it out of the way. I think that would be a little hard, bringing the camera to that :lol:.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back