Disaster!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Formatted, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Formatted

Formatted TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    About 2 weeks ago, I ordered a 200 - 400 Nikkor VR from a local shop that I thought reputable. Well it turns out they weren't and have since gone under, I paid by cheque which I have since canceled. So this may seem like a complete basket case. But I'm wondering is it?

Maybe I made a mistake? Is that what I really want? I already have a 70-300 lens I shouldn't recover the same ground. I therefore suggest we look at finding something else.

What I'm looking for?

My budget is £4,000 ($5,800), I'm only looking for new or mint condition lens. I'm looking for my equipment to last a long time, something that will last a lifetime.

I love to shoot sports, I generally don't do this indoors or with low light, but sometimes I do something that has versatility. Rowing, Cricket, Hockey, Rugby and Sailing are my favorite subjects.

But my true passion lies with, Wildlife photography, next year I am working in Kenya from September for 3 months in a Dutch Eco-lodge, I will also be spending 3 weeks in April following the migration and possibly be heading to India. I want something that will cover the distance, a tele-converter is also what I'm looking at.

To Conclude?

Quality is a must! Speed is a must! Length is a Must!

I've created this thread to make sure I make the right decision, some of the people on this forum have a insane amount of knowledge and so I know that with your help I can make the right decision.

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Have you looked at the 300mm f2.8? That's in your price range and with a couple of TCs you could get 300mm @f2.8, 420mm @~f4 with a 1.4, and 510mm @ ~f4.5 with a 1.7 TC.

3. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are that serious about wildlife photography, a 200-400mm is not nearly enough. With that kind on budget, and a little leg work, you shouldn't have much problem finding a deal on a 500mm f/4, and a 1.4 TC will give you a 700mm f/5.6. If you don't mind manual focus, you can always go this route for roughly $2500 :

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/500mm.htm

I have one of these, and the IQ is fantastic for an older lens... and you get to save some coin for something else.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    300mm f2.8 (does the nikon have VR on it?) would be my suggestion. That with a 1.4 and 2*Teleconverter is a very strong and well used combination. I know that canon shooters of wildlife use it a lot and I am sure nikon shooters also use the setup as well. Its light enough that it can be handheld and used whilst travelling (unlike many of the heavier and longer lenses which are more suited to overall hide work and tripods) and still retains a very high image quality even when put at the 600mm mark with a 2*TC.

For remaining mobil that is the setup I would go for - the heavier longer glass (fantastic as it is) I would use more for if I were doing a lot of work with hides where I don't have to be lugging the lens great distances all day.