Discovered this rock in my backyard

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ottor, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ottor

ottor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sometimes, when you get a new camera, you just see some things for the first time.. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    HDR/tonemap I assume... looksl ike you have a bit of ghosting there- particularly around the bush/tree line. (there's nothing to indicate scale, so I'm not sure how big your rock is here)

Other than that, a bit centered. I think framing it more to the left (which would put the lean into the frame) would be nice.

It's a not too overly done HDR/tonemap... but I still think I would back off the saturation and stuff personally. I think I might also be inclined to do a shot with just a cpol and blow off the HDR altogether. Sun is right on the subject so aside from some deep shadows, I don't think you're getting a lot from the process other than making the image look a bit funky.

3. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I want a rock..... And a backyard for that matter

4. ottor

ottor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Chris..

I've done some "Funky" HDR stuff before, but wasnt' trying it for this shot.. I just liked the different contrasts in the rock/foliage.. Tried to keep the ghosting at a minimum - in fact, attempted a little Dodge/Burn to get rid of it, but seems that I was all thumbs last night, and just made it worse.. :x

I agree about the Crop/Frame - think I'll try it and see how it turns out..

As far as 'scale' goes ..... well, it's just a big freekin' rock !! I just looked at it a little differently for the first time, and thought I'd honor it with a photograph..

thanks for the comments... :D