Discussing the requesting critiques thread

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thread in question
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122391

Continuation of the discussion started in the above thread - here so that the above can continue to function without getting weighted down with chatter and debate:
Summary for those new -

Kundalini:
If this has been mentioned, I apologize for missing it, but there should be a limit on the number of photos per link to ask for critique.
One is preferred and two as a maximum.
Trying to sort through 23 photos in a link will not get my attention....well, it does, but renders it useless to critique.
Just my 2¢ worth.

Dioboleque:
I just want to say that I realize people have issues with lots of photos in a post, but in my defense I'd like to say that in my first post there are 7 photos, but 4 of them are of the same thing just different perspectives, so to me that sort of groups them together. Same in the second post, 6 of the first 7 are of the same subject from different perspectives, so if u consider them a group... I wanted to share them all, but obviously don't expect critique on every individual photo since the critique for one would more than likely apply to several... you could always look through them and pick one that stood out as especially in need or something more than just ignoring them completely... I just don't get too many to critique any, but getting comments and critique has seemed a struggle since I started posting...

Abraxas:
It's a struggle for nearly everyone when we begin posting.
Best strategy is to pick a shot and run with it. Bump it if you have to.
Once upon a time we had a critique forum. Well, it died and probably went to hell because it was too hard to figure out what was desired by the poster. Myself, I only have two eyes and have not figured out how to look at more than one photo at a time.
On a side note, I'm wondering what happened to the members that requested this forum in the first place?- Possibly you should request a mentor? Check the following for a list of eager members.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123688
Also I have added a new "rule" to the thread to try and take into account the point raised about the number of photos posted for commenting on

I think my attention got lost at the first sub-number. Want to give a summary for those of us who don't like to read long posts? :scratch:

sorry - I will edit the above to be a little more clear - give me a sec

Ahhh got it. Thanks!!

My opinion is that this one falls into the Forum Etiquette pile. I think there are valid reasons for posting multiple shots but when doing so the poster should go overboard in clearly stating what is being requested. If they're going to ask someone to spend more time than typical reviewing their thread, it's only polite to remove the guess work.

I've seen this done well where a poster shows an image and puts something to the affect of "#1 - Please comment on the composition." by each photo or numbers each photo and asks for the viewer to state their preference and why.

If organized well multiple pics in a post doesn't bother me at all.

I'll say again that I don't think there were tooooo many pics in my post... 7 in the first, 12 in the second, and 7 in the last, and again, several pics were of the same subject from different perspectives and all pics were from the same trip... but even after requesting critique in the critique request thread i only got 1 response. So either people REALLY don't like multiple pics, or people REALLY don't like my pics. I mean not even a 'nice set' or 'i like # so & so', it's hard not to take it personally when u look at the page and your pics are the only ones with no comments at all. The first set ended up with lots of comments, but only cause 2 guys hi-jacked my thread to have a convo. I don't expect a thorough detailed evaluation of each picture, but something would be nice! Just pick one of the group if u don't want to focus on all. Either that or I'll just choose to assume that if I get no comments it's only because I have rendered everyone speachless and all my pics are so perfect there is nothing to be said! (j/k of course) :sillysmi:

I'll just choose to assume that if I get no comments it's only because I have rendered everyone speachless and all my pics are so perfect there is nothing to be said! (j/k of course) :sillysmi:

That is what I always do :)
It is hard to take such things in their stride, but I think that at times you just have to - we have all been there and had it happen and the only way to keep going is to ignor and keep going.
One thing though that I have learned (and possibly still am learning) is this;
Way back (ok in Feb of this year) I joined another forum where the limit was 1 photo only a day on the whole site. Now I was just starting out then and thought this rather annoying - I had loads of shots to show and get comments on. However I held my tongue and posted my one shot - and the comments I got back started to make me look more critically at my other shots and what I noticed was that the errors I made on one were ones that I was making on all of them (especially when I looked a shots taken in the same set as the posted shot).
That taught me the value of one over many = that don't mean I don't still like to post up several shots though ;)

That is what I always do :)
It is hard to take such things in their stride, but I think that at times you just have to - we have all been there and had it happen and the only way to keep going is to ignor and keep going.
One thing though that I have learned (and possibly still am learning) is this;
Way back (ok in Feb of this year) I joined another forum where the limit was 1 photo only a day on the whole site. Now I was just starting out then and thought this rather annoying - I had loads of shots to show and get comments on. However I held my tongue and posted my one shot - and the comments I got back started to make me look more critically at my other shots and what I noticed was that the errors I made on one were ones that I was making on all of them (especially when I looked a shots taken in the same set as the posted shot).
That taught me the value of one over many = that don't mean I don't still like to post up several shots though ;)

+1 Brilliant....

If you really want your photo torn apart and truly critiqued you should post one only.... definitly no more than 2 or 3..... multiple exposures dilutes the critique process..... If you have five photo's that you think are interesting pick the best of the five to improve on....

It's not that I wanted my pics torn apart and critiqued so much as simply acknowledged and critiqued, but since I wasn't even being acknowledged I decided to throw my hat into the Critique Me ring, but even that got only 1 response, so at this point I just feel like I'm begging for attention. Idk, maybe they're just that bad, which I can accept, it's just surprising...:(

It's not that I wanted my pics torn apart and critiqued so much as simply acknowledged and critiqued, but since I wasn't even being acknowledged I decided to throw my hat into the Critique Me ring, but even that got only 1 response, so at this point I just feel like I'm begging for attention. Idk, maybe they're just that bad, which I can accept, it's just surprising...:(

If your just looking for some form of acknowledgment then place your pic's in the "just for fun" section.... if nobody comments??? Back to the drawing board...

If you are posting for critique you should WANT your pic torn apart... This is the way you learn to become better....

If there is seven technical errors and/or suggestions per picture and you post ten pictures... that seventy issue's that someone has to take the time to respond... IMO you (not YOU) are being somewhat greedy posting seven pictures and expecting someone to put forward all this time...

During your shoot/session pick a couple of your best shots.... shine them up in PP.... present them to the forum and ask how they could be better... unless your having a problem deciding say.. how to crop... then post the unfinished product with questions about cropping...

just my opinion however...

Yeah, I hear yall on the too many issue, but as I said before, I felt in this case it would be ok because so many of them were similar. I have a really hard time picking my own favorites, so to narrow down what was probably close to 300 pics to 26 already seems like a huge thing to me, then I broke the 26 into 3 sets of 7, 12, & 7.
And it's not that I don't want honest critique or harsh critique, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a "nice set" or something general was all I meant before.
I've been around here for a while and I've seen lots of posts with 5, 6, 7, and more which receive feedback. (I mostly spend my time reading the critiques others have received as I feel it can help me also) All I'm sayin is if there are 70 issues, then fine, but imo it's much more helpful to point out even 1 of those issues rather than leave all 70 unmentioned. :sillysmi:

Yeah, I hear yall on the too many issue, but as I said before, I felt in this case it would be ok because so many of them were similar. I have a really hard time picking my own favorites, so to narrow down what was probably close to 300 pics to 26 already seems like a huge thing to me, then I broke the 26 into 3 sets of 7, 12, & 7.
And it's not that I don't want honest critique or harsh critique, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a "nice set" or something general was all I meant before.
I've been around here for a while and I've seen lots of posts with 5, 6, 7, and more which receive feedback. (I mostly spend my time reading the critiques others have received as I feel it can help me also) All I'm sayin is if there are 70 issues, then fine, but imo it's much more helpful to point out even 1 of those issues rather than leave all 70 unmentioned. :sillysmi:

For me... if there are seven issue's with a picture I can't point out just one only... I have to point them all out.... it looks like I missed something if I don't... and it seems rude to say "there are many things wrong with this picture.... here is one"....

Well, my opinion doesn't change anything, like I said before, a little help is better than NO help, so even if focus could be put on one of the photos... Not receiving ANY feedback is not only not helpful, but I find it a bit discouraging... I already posted them so it's not like I can go back and put fewer pics in the post... I guess since I didn't get any real feedback I was hoping I could drum some up by begging, but that hasn't worked either, so I give up! If anyone is interested, the posts I'm referring to are my St. Augustine posts. :sillysmi:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back