Discussions about creative block and how we can over come this together.

bianka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Discussions based around creative and mental blocks, why it occurs and how we can over come it.
How others have had this experience and how they managed or what techniques they used that help them get over these blocks and continue on there way with there projects etc

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Becoming stultified can be the result of doing the same things over and over. Changing things up can help. Using a new lens, or a different set-up, can sometimes help. Shooting more in a different camera orientation can help, such as shooting to a square aspect ratio, or looking for vertical compositions more than horizontals might be helpful. Using a very long lens, longer than normal, might be helpful. Using a very wide-angle lens can force you to look at things differently than when using more normal focal lengths.

I just step away for a while. Sometimes a few days, sometimes weeks.

Discussions based around creative and mental blocks, why it occurs and how we can over come it.
How others have had this experience and how they managed or what techniques they used that help them get over these blocks and continue on there way with there projects etc

It helps to have an aim. E.g. visit a place and document it for the purpose of sharing with your contacts; or create a set of three, b&w prints in 1:1 aspect to frame and display.

This. I don’t try to force anything. When I get the urge and the spark I’ll go out.

I take very few photos throughout the winter because the light is usually very boring most of the winter where I’m at and it’s just too cold to be outside for extended periods of time.

This. I don’t try to force anything. When I get the urge and the spark I’ll go out.

I take very few photos throughout the winter because the light is usually very boring most of the winter where I’m at and it’s just too cold to be outside for extended periods of time.

Winter is for developing and printing/scanning all the film I shot during the warmer weather.

Grab my Hedgecoe book and pick a project

Reactions: orf
It never happened very often, but the last time I had no creative get-up-&-go I moped around for a bit feeling sorry for myself.
While at Walmart I strolled through the art/crafts section and spied a sketch book.
Thinking I would try some sketching, something I don't do, I bought it.

The sketch book sat around for several weeks and I looked at it every time I walked by it.
Then one day I had an idea for a photograph, using a few sheets of the sketch paper, some foam board, some thumb tacks, and an off camera hot shoe flash with a blue gel on it.
I never got around to trying to sketch.

PadArtC8-3-10D300A_0009 copy.jpg

Last edited:

How about you, Bianka? :) What have you found helpful when facing a creative block?

Not just with photography either. Step back take a break. Sometimes it can be just a short couple minutes, to days or weeks. I do this when something just doesn't work. Get the mind on something else.

i take a vacation, go dancing, do something else.

This guy issues nice weekly challenges I like to try on occasion (even if I don't do it in the time frame is decent inspiration)The Art of Photography

There are a few things I do some are easier than others

1. Go somewhere new, many of us photograph the same places a lot but new places can bring new life into your viewfinder. Get in the car and see where you end up
2. Set a challenge and try and complete it
3. Revisit old photos you considered "bad" or "not worth it" when you took them, some you may like now that time has passed.
4. Buy some trivial piece of gear, this sounds silly but a $5 hotshoe mount level Amazon Primed to you may cause you to go grab the camera and shoot some land scapes
5. Look to others (instagram, flickr, here... etc.) for inspiration
6. Go to a flea market, buy a cheap old film camera and a roll of BW film and have fun. All in all it may cost you $25 but I love my FED2 and the day I spent with it.
7. Get into toy cameras, HOLGA's and other similar "toy" cameras can usually be had for less than $10 if you know where to look. They can be a blast and deliver something new.
8. I hear polaroid is back....
9. Ask around to see if anyone is dumping any dark room gear, you may be able to grab some cool stuff for free and pick up a new skill (WARNING: this is a deeeeep rabbit hole)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back