Disneyworld

mrodgers

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been sitting on the internet all night tonight, all night last night, several times at work (shhhhh....) looking at coming up with a Disney vacation.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is overwhelming. I don't know what to do! There is so much there it is unbelievable.

Anyone have any thoughts on Disneyworld in Orlando?

This is to be a combination of trips for us. Married for 12 years, we never went on a honeymoon. Anyone ever go on a honeymoon with a 6 and 9 year old? :D This is also everyone's first trip to Disney, my wife's first trip anywhere south, and my children's first trip ever.

Don't even know if I can do it financially. I suggested going easy with a trip just to the beach (Ocean City was the most probable) but when looking at the cost, it wouldn't be much different than going to Disney. Although, at the time looking, I had neglected the actual travelling. We first figured we would drive from PA, and would have to stay overnight somewhere on an 18 hour car ride. With gas and a stay overnight round trip though, it wouldn't cost that much more to just fly. That would give extra time at Disney which we wouldn't have by driving. Unfortunately, I was first just looking at the Disney packages with park passes and stuff and the price was quite a lot lower than I expected (thousands lower). It wasn't until today that I thought of the travelling expenses which really puts it over the top, but still not all that much more than just going 8 hours to Ocean City for a week.

Overwhelmed here with all this Disney info I'm scrounging up, LOL.

Definitely do it. Disneyworld is a great place to take kids that age! They will love it. And you and your wife will as well. And no need to stay over somewhere! Come on I did the trip with my aunt and uncle and cousin from tampa to brunswick jersey. Tought it out :p

But seriously, if you can financially do it, go for it. It's an amazing place to go. You will definitely not get everything done in a week. There is just way to much to do there!

Took my daughter when she was 7. Set it all up several months ahead of time, including package deal and hotel stay. Spent a day travel each way, plus check in and out, and 3 more days at the parks; 1 at Epcot, 1 at Magic Kingdom and 1 at MGM Studios.

The happiness my kid at 7 years old experienced at Magic Kingdom in particular still brings a tear of joy to my eyes as I think about it right now, and she's 22. I'll never forget it. At night, when they did the parade of lights and shot off the fireworks over the castle, the excitement over it all with her on my shoulders so she wouldn't miss anything was just the coolest thing EVAR!

Looking back, it would have been worth twice the price, even if I had to borrow, beg and sell stuff to get up the money to make that dream come true for my kid!

Disney is great. Don't try to do a Gridwald-style cram-everything-into-three-days type vacation though. Just my opinion, by the third day you're going to need another vacation.

For hints check out (and join) The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World — TouringPlans.com - the book listed on their site is excellent, it isn't a cheap scam - get it. Also look at wdwmagic.com.

For kids I wouldn't waste a lot of time on the fireworks at Epcot, but the nightly show at the Magic Kingdom is worth the price of admission.

If you're shopping for prices and places to stay do consider staying at a Disney property. There's good and bad to that, but a really nice feature is being able to walk out the room and hop on a bus to whatever park you want to see. The buses can take you from park to park and back to the hotel at night. Part of staying there also gives you extended hours in parks. The hours change depending on the day and the park, sometimes you can get in an hour or two early - other days let you stay in the Magic Kingdom for hours after normal closing.

Disney is great. Don't try to do a Gridwald-style cram-everything-into-three-days type vacation though. Just my opinion, by the third day you're going to need another vacation.
That's true. I focused my response on Disney, but we actually spent a couple weeks there, with days just lounging at the hotel's pool, other days we went to Universal Studios and Sea World, another day we did some major water park. We even shot over to Tampa and did Busch Gardens one day.

I didn't really mean that to sound direct at you :)

I've done it too - lots of times. I used to go down there with a girlfriend (er, ex-now). We'd spend 3-4 days there at a time. The first couple of times I think we tried to hit the Magic Kingdom, MGM (now Hollywood Studios), and Epcot. By the time we got halfway through Epcot I was about done. On subsequent trips we'd pick one or two and that's it.

I just got my 15 month pass - I'm aching to go a few times :)

Griswald-style! LMAO!

When we first started discussing it, I immediately looked at my wife and started humming the National Lampoons: Vacation song :D

We have it all figured out now. First wanted to do the Carribean Beach Resort thinking there's lots there if we chill out for a day, but all the kids would want to do is play in the pool. So, we changed it to one of the value All-Star Resorts.

Not worried about seeing everything (as I understand it would be impossible.) We are going to do the 4 day pass, the middle meal option, and will have the hopper pass, though I don't think we would use it. It is part of the resort packages anyways. Probably will do 5 days so we can do 2 parks, chill out and relax at the hotel for day 3 with maybe hitting the boardwalk for dinner and the evening, then check out the other 2 parks for day 4 and 5 just so we can at least see all 4 parks. I'm also tossing the idea around of only doing 3 parks, although it would only be a $23 difference. We could always decide to do Magic Kingdom twice, the first day then the last day.

I get plenty vacation and Wifey can just request anything she wants off but won't get paid (supplemental income anyways.) So, we can easily take 2 days to go down, stay however long we want (or money allows) and take it easy for the ride back travelling through some sites to see on the ride home.

Last night I pulled up the Disney website and played some videos for my 5 year old telling her this is where we are going. Her jaw dropped and stayed dropped through all 4 videos of the parks :D

The easy part seems to be what resort. Go by what you want to spend. What parks to visit is easy. There are 4 main parks as I can go to a waterpark and minigolf locally anytime I want. The hard part is what I am looking at right now. Looking at all the restaurants and deciding which ones to put on the list to call for reservations. I told Wifey that whichever dining we do every night, I'm eating steaks every single night with my meal package, hehehe :D

When we first started discussing it, I immediately looked at my wife and started humming the National Lampoons: Vacation song :D

I've seen tons of "Clarks" there. They're all having fun though :D

There's always a ton of really neat things to see and - having done the "rush through" I know I missed a lot. Even the kids can get into looking for things like "hidden Mickeys".

Do your reading-up on things like the "fastpass" system and, again, that touring-guide site will give you a good idea of how to plan things efficiently.

Also check out Disney's customized maps. I'm not sure I'd bother actually bringing them to the park, but they're pretty neat and a good souvenir to get before you even go - and you can't beat the price.

We used to like to spend a week on Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona) and drive over to Disney Complex for a couple of days, going back at night to use the beach facilities at our motel each night.

That was always pretty nice...

But when we found out how convenient it was to stay INSIDE Disney, with ease of transportation and meals almost making doing that a no brainer vs. staying anywhere outside of Disney.

Over several days of staying inside, the convenience easily makes up for any desires to stay elsewhere. Park you car, lock it, and leave it without worring about driving and parking for the entire stay.

I loved being there at night, enjoyed shooting the parades and fountains after dark.
Used to like to play with using star filters and stuff like that.

Always went when school was IN Session, and those awful Florida lovebugs were gone...

Have a nice trip!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back