Distortion Correction?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering if the built-in distortion correction in Lightroom is top-notch, or if something better is out there? Here are my two questions in specific (both might have the same answer, I don't know):

(To get specific in case if I get a technical answer, I'm shooting with a Nikon D5200 and the AF-S lenses listed in my signature which is below, shooting in RAW, using Adobe Lightroom to process to the RAW files)

1) Basic lens distortion from a normal / portrait prime lens seems simple. In this case, would a quick click on distortion correction in Lightroom be sufficient?

2) Complex lens distortion from my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 seems to not work so well in Lightroom. When I click to correct the distortion, I don't always get a sufficiently corrected image. In some cases, distortion is less apparent *before* I click to correct. In the case of my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 which has a moustache type of distortion, are there any better distortion correction choices?

I haven't seen anything that works perfectly. Distortion correction appears to work with simple forms of distortion, whereas 'moustache' distortion is complex and distorts in two different directions.

I have to ask...are you expecting a 'normal to the eye' distortion correction result (aka, 50mm lens 'normal view' appearance) when using a fish eye lens? IF that were possible, no matter how one tries, either via software or via physical cut and paste techniques, the end result would have the shape of a small 'dumbell' and the vertical parallel lines will be converging. Trying to 'normalize' the vertical lines (eg, spreading them apart) would result in making everything 'fatter' near the top and bottom.

In short, it's an impossible task. Look at any map of the entire world on a flat piece of paper. There is no way a round surface can look 'normal' when flattened out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back