Ditching the kit. Which lens suits me?

Dylan-Fishman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a D40. Originally I was gonna just get the kit. Now that I saw I can get just the body for about $160 through cameta I'm ditching the kit lens. What lens should I get instead? Price range is $50-$150. I shoot nature and street. I like shooting in lower light so that is definitely a variable.

Thanks,
<>Dylan<>

This is a tough one. Because really the only lens your going to get thats good in low light for 150 or less is the 50mm 1.8. But that could possibly make you miss some street shots as you would have to walk to get closer. If you can go to maybe like 200, you could try to pick up an 18-70 and a 50mm 1.8. Each can be had for around a hundred. If not, if you dont mind not having zoom, go for the 50, if you really want soon, the 18-70.

hmmm. Thanks.... I may be able to go 200.

Anymore suggestions?

If you can get the D40 for that cheap, most definitely get it. Thats a slightly ridiculous price for a good entry level camera. As for lenses, the 50MM will not autofocus on the D40, so if this is your first foray - you may want to stick with autofocusing lenses. As such, the 35MM F/1.8 (if you can find it) at 200 bucks is a good deal. You can use that effectively for street photography (although 50MM more closer represents what the human eye sees).

For nature, might want to try looking at the 55-200MM VR lens. Optically it is ok, and is a surprising performer for the cost.

Thank you. I'm pretty good with manuel (my uncles a professional art photographer & I frequently use is D200) so that's not so much of a big deal. Thanks for all the help.

Anymore suggestions?

Well if you are unconcerned about whether or not you can use autofocus or not - then ANY lens should suffice - look into the Series E 50MM F/1.8 - can usually be had for about 30/40 bucks. Similarly can often find the 135 F/2.8 very often. It is an AI-S lens as well.

I'd think street photography and nature photography are two completely different beasts when it comes to lenses unless you're very stealthy.

At less than $200 I'd get the 70-300 (non VR), you can always sell it later and upgrade if you need to. You won't find a VR version in your price range however.

Well if you are unconcerned about whether or not you can use autofocus or not - then ANY lens should suffice - look into the Series E 50MM F/1.8 - can usually be had for about 30/40 bucks. Similarly can often find the 135 F/2.8 very often. It is an AI-S lens as well.

Keep in mind that with older non-cpu lenses (like the series e you mention), he will lose light-metering as well.

The 35mm afs f1.8 is a good choice, but it will be hard to find one for less then $250.

or you can try to find a used d70 for the same $$ as the d40, to expand your autofocus lens choices beyond afs. The d70 is a better camera then the d40 except for the lcd screen size.

If your budget is only $150 just buy the kit lens and leave it at that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back