Division 1 College Basketball

tigerphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first post to the forum, so I would like to say hi everyone first off. I'm a very new photographer, as the opportunity to use decent equipment and access to all of my school's athletic events just kind of fell in my lap.

These are photos from the last basketball game I was able to go to, and I would appreciate any critiques you may have. I know I still have work to do on things like camera settings, timing, and composition (may as well be a foreign language to me).

I've also got shots from a few other games, and also some football pictures that I may post in a separate thread, but let me know what you think of these. thanks!

matt

3116503675_5d697017ea_o.jpg

3117330968_31775c8cc4_o.jpg

3116503797_379e9f676f_o.jpg

3116503583_eaef61b23d_o.jpg

3117330510_b7cdb088dd_o.jpg

3117331122_35afe71f58_o.jpg

3116503365_b53852b9f3_o.jpg

one more question, should I watermark my images before posting them to the web? Obviously I already resize them, but this seems like it might be a necessary step also.

I to like to shoot basketball (I shoot High School Though), I was wondering what kind of gear that you were using.
I like the second photo how you got him in his free throw shot, nice
In photo number 1 i like the shot that you tried to get but i feel that it is decresed in visual value because of the motion blur, i recommend a higher shutter speed which can be had to get is a dark gym.
Then on the last thing you may want to watermark your photos if you are really worried about people stealing your photos then i would, but own this forum you have selected that is not ok for people to edit your photos

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm new to the photo scene so I'm using gear that belongs to the school organization I'm an editor for (annual student media). I'm using a Canon Digital Rebel (yep the first one from a few years back) and a Tamron 28-300 / f3.5-6.3. I realize what kind of quality these are, but they're all I have for now and I'm learning. Also, flash is strictly not allowed at any varsity sporting event, making life a bit tougher.

I do plan on upgrading after the new year, most likely to something like a 450d or possibly a d80 or d90. the problem I'm having is finding an affordable lens that is capable of quality images, sports photos in particular. any ideas?

Wow ! What a cool place to shoot photos if you like College Basketball.

Clemson could be a pretty good team this year, and the ACC rocks for NCAA Basketball.

I understand were you are coming from im shooting on a Nikon D70 (From 2004) with the Nikon 50 1.8 which doesnt get the best reach but i get good quailty and i just crop my photos but there is only so much that i can do with a 6.1mp cam. But I am in the prosses of saving up for a Nikon AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 which is $900. But the best thing to do is pratice. I was so stoked that at last weeks game some random person who i had never met before just asked me if i wanted to shoot one his NIkon AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VR which is $1700, it was so sweet.

I don't know why people count out the Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 (I paid $600 for a very lightly used version)

I've gotten quality images using my D200 or my work's D300 for basketball.

I do believe that Sigma lenses are a bit more reliable for Nikon's, so I would go that route. I don't believe that the D80 matches up to the D90...For me, it would be the D90 or D300, wit the D300 being a bit more superior.

As far as your images go...I don't see a whole lot of noise...I'd bump up the ISO if possible to get a faster shutter. I usually shoot for a minimum 1/320...I also usually shoot about ISO 2000 or 2500, but that's also in a poorly lit gym.

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is definitely worth looking into. I'm on yearbook staff and our photo editor just won top sports photographer in the nation at one of the biggest national yearbook conventions (but the yearbook dropped down a spot to #9 national :( ). He shoots with a Canon 40D and the sigma and brings home some stunning shots from gyms that I guarantee you are lit worse than a Division 1 gym.

The 40D (and now the 50D) are supposed to be really good for sports because of the speed of autofocus and the top half of our staff all use either a 30D or 40D and a sigma for a telephoto lens. I use one and I love it.

Thanks for the replies so far, and also the lens info. I will definitely be considering a Sigma when I purchase.

Any other thoughts on the pictures? what would you do different?

Also, I'm going to be posting some shots from the Carolina/Clemson game in a bit, so keep an eye out.

What a gig... I envy you.... even though it's at Clemson. :lol:

One thing is you need to have a faster shutter speed to ELIMINATE motion blur. Blur may be acceptable if panning, but the subject has to be tack sharp. The max apeture of your lens is not your best friend in these conditions, so bumping the ISO is the only alternative, with one exception.

I was at a Carolina game a few weeks ago and noticed the line of photogs along the baseline. The "serious" ones had two bodies. When the action was on their end, the had a shorter lens and when the action was at the far end (coming and going), they popped out their honkers mounted on a monopod. So if you can get a monopod that gets to your eye level while sitting, that will help with camera shake. Of course they (the pros) had PWs and were triggering strobes mounted in the rafters.

A couple more notes, having the ball in the scene is important IMO. #2 and the last photo lack content. Also, don't cut off their feet, most of the closer shots are guilty.

Make sure to post photos when they play the Heels in January!!!

Most reactions

Back