diy or purchase portable gear cart/tote with rollers

sloaneparker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this community (waves). I am shooting documentary portraits and I do have a bit of gear for this project (tripod, foldable softbox, light stand, and of course camera bag and film). It is just me with no assistant/crew.

What is a good solution (either DIY or store bought) that I can use to tote all this gear?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Where will you be toting this gear? Will there be a lot of walking...or can you drive to where you will be shooting? Will you be traveling in your own vehicle...or might you gear be riding on top of an elephant?

What's your budget?

Ideally, I would think that something like a hard shell case with wheels would be great. Pelican make some great cases...but there are plenty of manufacturers. Most come with customizable foam, so that you can set your gear into it...and have it well protected. If you have the money...you could even have a custom case insert made. The foam division of my company makes these, if you are interested.

I do family portraits in peoples homes etc. So I have to tote a bunch of gear as well. Light stands, tripods, light, umbrella, camera & lenses, back drops etc. I've been using a big suit case to hold it all. It works pretty well...but it's just from my vehicle to the house and back. If I was doing any major travelling...I'd want a hard case with foam.

Hi there,

I will be on foot and my budget is slim.

I REALLY like the big suitcase idea. Does the tripod and lightstand fit in there? That would be perfect.

It depends on the light stand and the suit case. With mine...I have to lay the light stand in at an angle...and it just fits, with very little room to spare. The rest of the gear just fits around that.

A longer, maybe skinnier case would be better. Maybe a large plastic tool box would be good...but good suitcases are usually made pretty well and have pretty good wheels.

If i've got alot of gear to carry I use my diving bag.They're designed to carry alot of weight, It's made of heavy nylon, It's huge, waterproof and they're relatively cheap.

great suggestion on the waterproof diving bag, since i live in a rainy climate, i need my bags waterproof.

is there a good place online to purchase such a bag that you can recommend?

Most reactions

Back