DIY Softbox

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chrisburke, Dec 2, 2008.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well it's not pretty (yet..) but it does a great job. I got a little bored tonight, and starting playing around with some material and some cardboard...

This took me maybe 30 minutes to make... I realize it's very ugly.. but there are no stores open right now that i can get "beautifying supplies" i'll do that tomorrow... point for tonight was "does it work" pics of the softbox, and a little sample of the result...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now the results... please note that I didn't really take time to compose this shot, I just stood there, took the shot.. i think maybe in program mode... took a shot without the box, and one with it... I'm happy with the result, and look forward to actually taking time to compose a picture tomorrow and seeing the difference. Settings were the same for both of these pics:.. and no, she didn't know that I took the pic

Without the Box:
    [​IMG]

with the box: note the much softer tones in her skin
    [​IMG]

2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    Nice. What did you use for materials? I have some coroplast here that would probably work great for the frame, I need to figure something out for the diffuser.

3. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Excellent results, Chris. You really seem to have the DIY thing going on. Very nice!

4. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks BT... when your a pastor who doesnt make the kind of money it takes to buy the fancy stuff, you have to improvise

5. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're a pastor? I didn't know that. That's cool.

I try to swing the DIY thing a lot too. It took me months to save the cash just to get my D40! My current most effective DIY thing is two diffusers I made out of the semi-clear milk jugs! I have a couple of Quantaray MS-1's that I use for off camera lighting, and I hang my milk jugs off of those. It's pretty ghetto looking, but it works!

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, i'm a pastor.. have been for 4 years now...

i would love to see some shots of your DIY.... you can post em here...

7. jenn76

jenn76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    C'mon, Chris... you can't post all this without telling us what you used to make it and how you did it. ;) So spill!

8. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i just used regular cardboard and I cut out the triangular shape x4... i then taped them all together, and put material (its called tabling) over it.. i didn't actually follow any guides online, i just kind of pulled the idea out of the air... but I'm sure there are some guides online for one..

for the size of the triangles I just kind of made it up.. I really didn't know what I was doing... but it works great... i was going to take pictures of the process, but was unsure if it would work, so I did bother... maybe if I can find a box I can make another one this weekend and I'll show measurements and everything..

heres one that looks like a similar process to mine.. cept he used heavy duty cardboard.. I just used a box

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1025&message=10624771