DJ Sparks Outcry from Photographers

I have no idea.
You asked "pursue what" and I gave you an answer. Simple as that. Just answering your question

I mean, I guess if the photographer wants to waste money, sure they can pursue it and lose.

I mean, I guess if the photographer wants to waste money, sure they can pursue it and lose.
Doesn't that really depend on who's contact says what? Can't really assume they will lose when we know hardly any facts at all

I know all!!!!

This guy was the DJ? His page looks like he markets/promotes events. And posts 50+ or even 200+ mediocre photos of each. Seems excessive.

Seems like the time to have said something to the b&g would have been when this wackadoodle was getting in her way and preventing her from doing her job (if he was). Not sure what the photographer can do with that contract. I'm not sure why he sent the b&g pictures. I could see him taking a few of a wedding he DJ's and maybe(?) giving them a couple of his photos (although I don't know why they'd want that many pictures of the DJ or from the DJ).

Might have been better to chalk it up to experience and take a look at the contract or what info, is discussed with the b&g to prevent another situation like this in the future instead of getting into a public social media pissing match.

This guy was the DJ? His page looks like he markets/promotes events. And posts 50+ or even 200+ mediocre photos of each. Seems excessive.

Seems like the time to have said something to the b&g would have been when this wackadoodle was getting in her way and preventing her from doing her job (if he was). Not sure what the photographer can do with that contract. I'm not sure why he sent the b&g pictures. I could see him taking a few of a wedding he DJ's and maybe(?) giving them a couple of his photos (although I don't know why they'd want that many pictures of the DJ or from the DJ).

Might have been better to chalk it up to experience and take a look at the contract or what info, is discussed with the b&g to prevent another situation like this in the future instead of getting into a public social media pissing match.

Or hopefully all the other photographers in the area will start asking clients before they book, hey, you didn't happen to book this guy as a DJ did you? Well, then I'll pass.. lol

I looked at his "other" site at The Umbrella Syndicate and yeah, mediocre event photos with heavy use of blur layers...looks like they do two or three events every day and promote their event promotion jobs on Facebook. Looking at the thread on their FB page, they have a lot of angry wedding photographers leaving comments. The reporting on F/stoppers is pretty incomplete, but from what I could see this morning, looking at the DJ service page, they are a much larger company, one Mr. Rochon started 30+ years ago, along with some other now middle-aged dudes it would seem, and they have 21 or so DJs, and it looks to me like the second business, The Umbrella Syndicate, is tied in with the DJ services, so this outfit probably feels old enough, and big enough, and entitled enough to do whatever they feel like doing. It's impossible to verify, by photos, the allegations being hurled around on FB; some say the DJ "photobombed" the photographer's shots; others allege he "cribbed" her formal set-up poses from the bushes, kind of a variation on shooting over the paid pro's shoulder, yet subtly more devious--but NONE of those people were at the wedding, as far as I can tell.

I did see ONE photograph of a man, who I think was probably Mr. Rochon, standing and shooting with a Canon 5D and 70-200/2.8 L zoom.

I wonder if this is just a big publicity stunt, perhaps orchestrated for free pubby. We'll probably never know.

I like the shot where he was shooting it vertically, with the flash pointed directly to his left boucing off nothing...

I could edit him out of those shots in 3 seconds.

I've also seen pro shots where their second shoot is in the BG doing the same...

I don't even care about the legality, and neither does the photographer apparently. I just know tactlessness when I see it. If another photographer did what he did everyone would know that it was poor etiquette. I don't understand why the photographer getting upset at the rude behavior of another professional, and then watching that professional apparently lie about the outcome and circumstances, is considered "self-righteous."

Have ya'll read the letter he put up on the Facebook? He simply can't wrap his head around the fact that he was not an invited guest. He was a hired professional for one role and that role was not to promote the event.

The contract did say the official exclusive photographer, the DJ was simply shooting the un-official pictures. If the hired official wedding photographer is getting paid for all the images they shoot what difference does it make if the DJ gives what he shot to the bride and groom? Unless what the DJ shot was way better. I understand the "official and the exclusive" Does a contract really stop any of the guests from shooting and giving the bride and groom pictures after? I don't shoot weddings, and when I go as a guest, my cameras stay at home, I find it more entertaining watching the "official" photographers running around. If for any reason I did take a camera I would probably shoot a few images, but it's not my gig, so I'd stay back and play photographer with my "professional camera"

I don't understand why the photographer is so upset. I can understand being irritated at the dj, and this whole situation seems as if it was handled poorly and unprofessionally by both parties. But as long as the photographer still gets paid what was agreed upon, I don't see the need for this overreaction.

Most reactions

Back