DLSR dilemma

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ryzekiel, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ryzekiel

Ryzekiel TPF Noob!

Hey everyone, I recently found a D1 online for cheap ($260 CAD) with a Sigma 28 - 105mm f2.8-4 DG. Both the lens and the body look great for how old they are. I know that the image quality is pretty last century, and it has that NTSC colorspace thing going on, but is this a good buy for a first DLSR or should I hop on the D40 bandwagon?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I wish I could answer intelligently on this but I can't. I'd just say be careful when buying online from an individual. I guess it depends on the amount of money you have to spend.

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd throw more money into it and get a better camera. Purely in terms of megapixels (which don't really count for much anyway, but still), many cell phones out-class that camera. :-/ (Not to mention the benefits of getting more recent tech and knowing that it'll work with all the other things you'll want to buy.)

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Shun the NTSC colorspace unless you really like to spend a lot of time in Photoshop. Every image will have to be converted to display anywhere. It's not really a good first camera.

Look for the next in line the D1X. Almost 6 MP and its sRGB or AdobeRGB. I saw what looked like a potential good one with low shutter actuations and no reserve on eBay earlier tonight. Figure it will go for about $650 body only. I'll be bidding on it.

Otherwise, ya, hop on a D40.

5. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So, I have not used a D1. But everyone who has told me this. The only redeeming value to the D1 when it came out was that it was really the ONLY DSLR (Nikon) out there. It is built like a tank, and has lots of customizable features, but in the end the technology was so new, it just wasn't all that. It was kinda what people used by default.

So, as cameras have come out, the image processors have become much more refined, and suited to normal every day amateur use. A D70, D50 or D40 would provide a much higher quality IMAGE than the D1. It may not be built like a Panzer, have the cool bottom grip, or have a 1/16000 shutter speed, but the image quality (which is what really matters in the end) is better.

Saying that, you've already bought the thing so go have fun! You may find out its perfect for you. Just because 95% of people out there would do something the opposite way you do, doesn't mean that they are right or you are wrong. Plus, people will come up to you and give you lots of attention, and maybe some hot chicks will ask to model for you (wishful thinking).

Edited to add: Oh, you didn't buy it yet. Nevermind the last paragraph. Also, I'm going to guess that having RGB on your camera is close to a must. I've never used a camera that didn't use it, but color reproduction is SO IMPORTANT. I'd hate to see this camera frustrate you by leaving you wanting more image-wise. It may even affect your ability to sharpen or increase saturation. I don't know, but these are things you need to ask someone about first.

6. Ryzekiel

Ryzekiel TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice, folks!

I think I may end up getting it anyway because I can't really afford much else, but I've built a pros and cons list

pros:
    well constructed body
    lots of features
    can shoot at high speeds (~4 fps and 1/16,000)
    lens compatability
    cheap

cons:
    NTSC colorspace (2 step fix in PS?)
    low-res (2.7 MP)

Also, is the lens that comes with it a good lens? I think it's also older. AND, is there something else that I'm missing that might contribute to a lower quality image other than the color thing and the low MP sensor?

Thanks again!

7. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I totally respect your decision, but this I don't believe is true. Have you looked at a D100? How about a D70? Or Canon 10D?

I am not trying to talk you out of anything, I just believe that there are a lot of first-gen DSLRs out there, and the D1 is far from being the only one that's cheap. Base your buying of this cool camera on something other than this.....pleeeeaaaase?

8. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    get a P&S