DLSR in Extreme Cold/Wind

Alan Ellis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jackieandalan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This will be the first year I take my new camera into the mountains in the winter. Almost every year, I drive to Colorado to climb a winter peak. I have had trouble in the past with my P&S freezing up or the batteries dying out too fast. This is my first year with a DSLR and I'm wondering how it will perform.

Has anyone had any experience with a DSLR in extreme cold and wind for extended periods of time (approximately 48 hours)?

Thanks for your input.

AE

you will always have a problem with batteries Cold just kills them you can always try to keep your spare very close to your body and even your dead battery some times after they worm up you can get a few more shots out of them. Keep in mind only a few Dslr's are some what setup to handle this kind of shooting so the lower level ones will not be any better as far as freezing up and getting moisture inside and so then a P&S. Olympus makes that Stylus 1030 that seems to be very tough as far as freezing and water proof.

Better than a point and shoot, but batteries will still be a problem. I've had my D40 down to -16C so far. It survived, but the kit lens didn't. That's why I'm buying a mechanical film camera.

You will definitely need one with weather sealing if it snows, but an entry level will fair no better than the P&S

Most reactions

Back