Do Aliens exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 9 planets in our solar system, and one has intelligent life on it. So far scientists have found 70 other solar systems in the Milky Way galaxy, but they suspect that there are billions. So then I think that if anyone can honestly think that there is not one planet that has intelligent life in at least one other of those solar systems, then they are extremely close-minded and ignorant. As they said in the movie Contact, it would be an awful waste of space.;)

hazelwestphoto said:
There are 9 planets in our solar system, and one has intelligent life on it. So far scientists have found 70 other solar systems in the Milky Way galaxy, but they suspect that there are billions. So then I think that if anyone can honestly think that there is not one planet that has intelligent life in at least one other of those solar systems, then they are extremely close-minded and ignorant. As they said in the movie Contact, it would be an awful waste of space.;)
The alien view is slightly different.
There are eight, possibly nine, planets in your solar system and no intelligent life - though there are one or two interesting mosses, but they only have limited conversational skills. ;)

hazelwestphoto said:

not that we are gonna talk religion...cause we cant.....

but if we could...i would point out that in a world that exsists in this 8 to 9 plants solar system... one out of 9 have life...

and they can not find any proof there is life any where else...

not counting the different "ships" they have sent out unmanned that traveled since early 60's braodcasting that there is life on the third planet from the sun....and have gotten no response...

aside from that.... its not wasted space, its to show the mass and complexity and enormous-ness of God...and how very small we are in comparison to his great work....and why does he need more life than what we got here..think he can do a better job ??? nah...its a lesson to us to know that even though his world and life is enormous, he still knows how many hairs are on my head, and how many times my heart beats..

now...wasted space?? pah-lees....you should meet some of the people i come in "contact" with everyday.....there is wasted space.....(oh, and dont believe everything in movies....hollywood has little intellegent life.......)

liveinsurrealism said:
Ok. So I have a compelling argument based on facts that Shows the existence of exterestreal life on earth. I believe Aliens created the great pyramids reasons being- (lots of psuedo-scientific tosh snipped out)
:lol:

Not only is this unoriginal, it's more than 30 years old. Erich Von Daniken served up this nonsense in a series of best selling books, back in the late '60s and '70s. It seemed reasonable enough when I read them at the age of 13 (before I had any idea what scientific proof was about), but really it is utter nonsense, and Von Daniken himself has been exposed as a fraudster. This is from an article about Von Daniken's theories at debunker.com :-

On the mysteries of the great Pyramid of Cheops: "is it coincidence that the area of the base of the pyramid divided by twice its height gives the celebrated figure Pi = 3.14159?" (p. 77)

Here our slippery trickster has made a claim which is easy enough to understand, but its refutation requires a higher level of mathematical sophistication, which is all the better for letting the deception go unnoticed! Without going into too much detail, let us observe that the famous number Pi is what is called a "dimensionless constant": it is a pure number, with which no units of measure are associated. However, the ratio of an area to height is not dimensionless, hence such a ratio cannot yield Pi. By choosing our units carefully, we can obtain the number 3.14159, but the ratio will not really be Pi, which is independent of any units of measure. If we measure the same pyramid, Von Daniken style, in inches, feet, and yards, we will obtain three different ratios. Choose your own units, and the ratio can be made to equal any number at all! Von Daniken writes that the pyramid of Cheops "has inspired hundreds of crazy and untenable theories". Not satisfied with this collection, he has given us one more. (Robert Shaeffer, NICAP UFO Investigator, Oct/Nov 1974)

The only thing to do when presented with this kind of stuff is to apply Occam's Razor, 'Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'. In case your Latin is a bit rusty, I'll help you out. It means 'plurality should not be posited without necessity', or in plain English, given two possible explanations for a phenomenon, the simpler one is usually correct.

So, the pyramids could have been built by aliens, who travelled across unimaginable distances to get here but left no other evidence of their visit (wait! they had the technology to fly across countless light years of outer space and they built some, er, big stone things when they got here?), or the ancient Egyptians knew a bit more about maths and engineering than Von Daniken's Eurocentric obsessions will permit him to admit. Which is the simpler explanation?

Thomsk (fan of the scientific method and William of Ockham)

Yeah, there's a lot of aliens up here too... along with a bunch of wasted space.

I don't know aobut the porbability of their being life somewhere else in the universe its probably reasonably high relative to some things.

What I find funny is that if people class it as intelligent life they can immediately fly across the universe to us and would want t invade.

Daniel said:
What I find funny is that if people class it as intelligent life they can immediately fly across the universe to us and would want t invade.
What is even stranger - if it is so difficult for us to find signs of other life in the Universe, how come aliens find it so easy to pinpoint us?
Perhaps when we start exploring space properly we will find the signs that say "the funny monkeys are here - please do not feed."

Well, right well, I'm a believer that yes there may well be life out there elsewhere HOWEVER going by what we know today in science about physics.

There could be other explanations for those things, civilization goes backwards sometimes. Take Britain, the Romans had a fairly complex society and some quite sohphisticated things for their time, but then the dark ages/medeival times came, and a lot of knowledge was lost.

One of the huge issues about life forms from other planets being here is travel. Unless their is another major reform in our understanding of the universe then it may not be phesable to travel between galaxies or even star systems. As far as we know it is not possible for solid particles to travel faster than the speed of light, now light travels at 300,000 km/s, yeah thats fast, but the nearest star from us is 4 light years, if we could travel say at 99.9% the speed of light it would take around 4 years to get there that is just not pheasable as a human needs something like 5 litres of water a day to survive and you can't carry de-hydrated water! Just to get to the centre of our OWN galaxy would take THOUSANDS of years at these speeds, and to get to the next nearest galaxy to us your talking MILLIONS of years. Even if we in future manage to reach 'warp speeds' of many times the speed of light it would still take years and years to get there, and it's just not possible to take enough supplies. Add to it time of aceleration/deceleration etc. Even if it were possible to reach SUPER speeds, say trillions of miles an hour (light is 670 million miles/hour) the amount of ENERGY required would reach near infinite amounts that it would be impossible to supply or produce. Of course this is all subject to todays knowledge unless there are ways to 'teleport' and such that are invented in the future such as 'wormholes' which are still just theoretical and have many fatal flaws, other than that would simply be un-predictable.

Another reason I don't think life forms have visited earth is, that even if there is life, or many other forms of life they won't nessecairly be intelligent forms of life, and even if they were, they would have to be far far far far superior to us to a) get here in the first place b) to leave no real evidence behind whatsoever of their existince, humans would have drawn pictures or written references to them if there were such things.

Also an argument, which I'm still undecided in, is still the likelihood of other life. Now even though the Universe is HUGE it is still of a finite size. Now with all the *really big number* of planets there are there almost certainly will be many with similar conditions to our own planet with liquid water and such. Now this in itself would be a rarity. Looking at how COMPLEX the reactions were that took place the likelihood of them happening are EXTREMELY minute, and then the evolution into an intelligent creature makes the possibilty smaller even futher. HOWEVER if you believe in 'God' (which I sort of do, biology and the complextiy of organisms, it just seems like something more than 'accidents' and 'surrvival of the fittest' conserding the [relative] short time we have evolved in) but yeah if there is a 'God' what is to say life was not created elsewhere in universe.

Just to finish off, bit of string theory, seeing as there may be tons of parrallel universes I wonder wether there may be life intelligent enough in other universes to cross parrallel universes........^o). Somehow I think if we ever come into contact with other life all of us here will be a long time dead.

monicam said:
Now even though the Universe is HUGE it is still of a finite size.

This is not proven...it is a theory, and like many other thoeries you cannot base any facts around them. Most of what you've written here, i'v read hundreds of times from magazine articals to books like "a short history of nearly eveything" by Bill Bryson.... not to say your wrong... it's good that people have an interest in these things :thumbup: , but again most of it is based on speculation.... how can man possibly comment on wormholes for example.... there haven't been any tests on them, we're going by what we think would happen... likewise with distances in space etc... how can we say aliens wouldn't be able to reach us.... maybe they can...maybe they have been able to for centuries, not that im a big believer in that (see my earlier post).....i wont divulge, but im not religous... there was a time when man thought that Earth was in the centre of our solar system...... wrong, that the sun orbited the earth... wrong.... i could go on.... now although this was a long time ago, the reactions are the same.... we are speculating about the universe and have no real clue what the deal is..... remember we still arn't sure whats at the bottom of our deepest oceans. Mans plight to understand the universe continues.... and there will be alot of mistakes made along the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back