Do clients judge based on your gear?

In 1990 I took a class from Neil Selkirk who imparted the following nuggets: "If you want people to think what you're doing is important, shoot 4x5" and "when you have clients in the studio, always explain what you're doing while you're doing it (moving lights, etc.) so they don't think you're incompetent because you can't do that stuff and not appear incompetent". He also taught me a lot about light but that's another story. Anyway, gear is just one of many things clients consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My film cameras are at least 15 years old and they're what I use mainly these days. Judge away! hahaha I think it depends on the clients. Most people don't care what you shoot as long as you produce.

18447102_10154908932653600_1536228193555731273_n[1].jpg

if they are judging you on your gear and not on your results, you have the wrong clients.

Why? A paying client is a paying client.

if money solves all problems, or you cant afford to turn down any work, then sure...any paying client is a good one.
but i found that there were just some people i did not want to work for, and believe me, I hated turning down money.
if someone is already being judgemental because of the equipment you are using, why would you not just refer them to someone with the gear that will satisfy them? some sense of pride that makes you want to prove to them wrong?
I dont want that kind of hassle, because if someone has it in their head that my gear isnt the right gear for the job, i would rather they just find someone that better suits their needs. I never took a job that i didnt feel i had sufficient equipment for, so if the client has equipment concerns i cant easily assuage, i will just take a pass.
a client that is dissatisfied* with you before the first click of the shutter just reeks of trouble later on. personally, and it could just be me, i would rather just move on.

I didn't suggest that shouldn't refuse clients or fire clients. I suggested that doing it because somebody asked about your equipment is a poor reason for that.

if they are judging you on your gear and not on your results, you have the wrong clients.

if money solves all problems, or you cant afford to turn down any work, then sure...any paying client is a good one.
but i found that there were just some people i did not want to work for, and believe me, I hated turning down money.
if someone is already being judgemental because of the equipment you are using, why would you not just refer them to someone with the gear that will satisfy them? some sense of pride that makes you want to prove to them wrong?
I dont want that kind of hassle, because if someone has it in their head that my gear isnt the right gear for the job, i would rather they just find someone that better suits their needs. I never took a job that i didnt feel i had sufficient equipment for, so if the client has equipment concerns i cant easily assuage, i will just take a pass.
a client that is dissatisfied* with you before the first click of the shutter just reeks of trouble later on. personally, and it could just be me, i would rather just move on.

I didn't suggest that shouldn't refuse clients or fire clients. I suggested that doing it because somebody asked about your equipment is a poor reason for that.
I didnt suggest doing it because someone "asks" about equipment.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You said a client that asks about equipment is the wrong client. It was natural for me to assume that is what you meant. Glad you cleared it up.

You said a client that asks about equipment is the wrong client. It was natural for me to assume that is what you meant. Glad you cleared it up.
You obviously did not read my post before making your assumptions.
Where did i say "ask"?

You obviously did not read my post before making your assumptions.
Where did i say "ask"?

What we've got heah is failya to communicate.

OK, OK you win! I just don't care to carry on with this nonsense.

OK, OK you win! I just don't care to carry on with this nonsense.
Then stop misquoting me to support a stance I obviously did not take. It's a tad annoying.

Most reactions

Back