Do I go for it?!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by notapixie, Jan 29, 2008.

1. notapixie

notapixie TPF Noob!

Aug 9, 2006
    I know you guys get a million of these questions but I'll make it quick, I promise!

I have a chance to get a Canon 30D, with a four year warranty, the canon 18-55 kit lens, 2gb memory card, card read and uv cover for the lens for $800. The guy selling it has only had it for 3 weeks. (he's selling it for what he paid - he works at the store he bought it from and got staff discount, if no one buys by this weekend he's just going to return it)

Bit about me: I'm an amateur photographer, never owned an SLR (my current camera is an kodak z650) but I'm toying with the idea of going to photography school in a year or two as it's always been a passion of mine. I want a camera to experiment with and just have fun, see if this is something I could realistically pursue.

Do I go for it? Otherwise I may just go for an XT or something like that, a little cheaper.
    And if I do go for it, but decide a few months down the road that maybe it isn't for me, what's the resale value on something like that?

(Okay not quite as short as I promised... sorry!)

2. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Mar 8, 2007
    Photos OK to edit
    its a decent deal i suppose if you plan on pursuing photography seriously, otherwise an XT or something might be a better choice