do i have the right to be offended?

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone...I haven't been posting lately, but I'm still around! :D

I have a question for you all...I have been taking some photos around at some local music events this past month--even getting my first paying job! I've been really excited about the reception my photos have been getting from the people who have seen them. I'm not incredibly impressed with myself as a photographer, I see room for a lot of improvement in my photos..but it's exciting that people actually LIKE when I take their picture now :mrgreen:

Here is my situation...I brought my camera along to a local event hosted by a friend and shot the entire night. I had no intention of charging any money because I was working with my new (and still not re-chipped) lens, she's a friend who needed some promotional pictures to help get her event off the ground, etc. Anyway, the pictures turned out well enough that she posted them on her myspace (not the most amazing venue, but it is the main source of communication with this particular group of musicians) and is making some fliers. WELL, one of the musicians had asked about the pictures I had taken and sent me an e-mail saying that he has photo suite and offered to edit/crop my images for me. I assumed he hadn't seen that they had already been posted online, so I gently mentioned that they were "edited and online already, feel free to post a couple on your page if you like". He went ahead and EDITED the pictures, lightening them to the point that they have lost ALL of their quality (many of them are quite dark as I was working totally with the stage lighting...and I liked them that way). Now I know I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't have a huge reputation to protect--BUT some of the people at that event had offered me work. I don't have a huge ego about myself, but I'm embarrassed to have my name on the images as they are on his page.

What would you do? I don't want to offend him/come off as too big for my britches...but I'm honestly offended. I spent hours sorting/editing the pictures until I was happy...then he butchers them :grumpy:

(My edits are posted on my general blog in the August 11th post: www.nabero.blogspot.com if you're interested in seeing his edits/why i'm upset I will send you his url via pm, I don't feel right posting it here)

Cheers....thanks for your input

Yeah, I would feel the same way. I don't see any of your options as viable though.

I guess it's a little like being a musician, and having someone perform your work and totally rearranging it. Meh, move on.

I looked at the images on your blog-- and I like them how they are as well.

I say you have every right to be a bit offended. You did tell him (albeit a little indirectly) that you didn't want you images to be edited, and he went ahead and did it anyways.

I'd just 'kindly' tell him that you'd appreciate it if he didn't edit your photos, since you already edited them-- and hopefully he'll get it this time.

Good luck!

I agree with Emma. I don't think you have any real (sane) options other than to ask him to remove the images and not edit them. He might simply have not realized what he was doing. Might've been one of those, "I have PhotoShop and I can do such a better job with that whole 'Auto Levels' feature" and not really have any idea what they're doing.

Yep always gracefully decline those offers unless you really aren't happy with your current ones :)

If it was me, I would contact the guy, and with a little tact, explain that you had edited the shots the way you thought best and that you thought his versions did not fit the vision you had in mind. That you appreciate his efforts, but his versions simply do not work as you are trying to create a certain style to your work. Ask him either to remove the photos or remove your name if you want to let him use them the way he edited them. If it ruffles some feathers, so be it. Especially if you are starting to get some offers of work. Stand up for yourself. If you come across as egotistical to this one guy, who cares?

If it really bothers this guy and he simply cannot understand where you are coming from, then ask him if it would be okay the next time he is in the middle of a gig if you jump on stage, grab a guitar and start wailing away on the song the way you thought it should sound.

Perfectly understandable why you feel offended. You'll get used to it in time. To be fair, you were asked before hand. They were polite enough to consider you - few people do. Just let it go. It's going to happen time and time again in the future with anything you put on the web. Not a lot we can do to protect ourselves as original artists in the digital age. It is THE fundamental flaw of digital media.

This is why you shouldn't give away your images to anyone. It's not something a professional would ever do, and it gives the wrong impression to some people.

I'm with Matt. Don't give away your work like that- It never works out. Call, be nice, and ask for them to be removed. Before-hand though, check into the DMCA (Digital Millennia Copyright Act). Filing one with his host can be awkward for him if he doesn't comply with your request. A written release, signed by both parties is always best so that there is a clear understanding of how the work is to be used, even if the work is a donation.

I would gently but clearly explain to him that you gave him permission to post the images only. Editing the images is a right that still belongs to you under the Copyright Act, so tell him to please remove the edited images from his site.

If successful great. If not send the above dated letter to his web site host reminding them that as the "publisher" of the images violating copyright they are equally responsible for the infringement. Then ask them to have the images removed.

There are other steps if these beginning ones don't work.

skieur

Thanks for all of your responses! I'm glad I waited to contact him until I had your feedback/some time to cool off from the initial "GRRR".

I've definitely learned a lesson from this.

I contacted him and he apologized/didn't realize he'd done anything wrong and took them down right away.

Oh, and thanks Rick_Waldroup for the comment on the picture :)

Most reactions

Back