Do i need a firewall with a router?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The situation-I'm using a laptop on my home network and connecting to the Internet though my Linksys WRT54G router with built-in firewall. Do I need a firewall installed on my laptop? I connect both with the Ethernet cable and without, depending on where I'm sitting.

I connect with the cable when I'm near my desktop because it's a faster connection.

Thanks.

The firewall/NAT in the LinkSys is sufficient to keep direct attacks from coming into your network.

Windows XP/Vista has it's own host firewall (if enabled) that will also block incoming connections.

Some third party host firewall's will go the extra step and warn/block applications that make outgoing connections.

Some third party host firewall's will go the extra step and warn/block applications that make outgoing connections.

Good point. I've always used ZoneAlarm, but I've been unsuccessful in accessing files shared by my desktop. That's where I store all of my photos because my laptop has only a 40 gig hard drive.. I thought it was due to having too many firewalls.

I always use ZoneAlarm on my desktop and my laptop (wireless), not only for stuff coming in but also for stuff going out. I like to know what my computer is doing.

I used ZoneAlarm for years, but have not used a firewall since installing Vista. While not perfect, the Windows Defender firewall is enough for me. Then again, I am behind 3 routers.

Good point. I've always used ZoneAlarm, but I've been unsuccessful in accessing files shared by my desktop. That's where I store all of my photos because my laptop has only a 40 gig hard drive.. I thought it was due to having too many firewalls.

A Network based and Host based firewall work differently. As stated from others, the Host based firewall can offer extra level on the application layer.

If you are not able to access file shares after installing the host based firewall, you may need to take a look at the firewall software installed in the computer and make sure the necessary ports are opened for connections. I think you need to open UDP ports 137, 138 and TCP port 139. If you do not know what that means, you can open all for an particular IP/Host. If you still not sure what to do, the firewall software support site should have some information or article regarding Windows sharing firewall settings.

Most reactions

Back