Do I Need A LIght Meter?

I sold my flash meter when I switched from film to digital. Being able to see an image right after exposure is better than having a suggested exposure. I do like having an incident meter in my bag for difficult metering situations. I have a handheld Gossen meter that does a great job both with incident and reflected readings. Most of the time the camera meter is more than adequate.

Haven't found a Flash Meter App, but came across this little free app for android. Keylight Pro Keylight PRO 2.0 - Android Apps on Google Play You enter your strobe settings and it gives you Optimum Distance, Aperture, Power, ISO, and Falloff. Allows you to change a setting and automatically recalculates the others. For those that know this stuff by heart, it might not be much help, but for those less knowledgeable, it might be helpful.

I sold my flash meter when I switched from film to digital. Being able to see an image right after exposure is better than having a suggested exposure. I do like having an incident meter in my bag for difficult metering situations. I have a handheld Gossen meter that does a great job both with incident and reflected readings. Most of the time the camera meter is more than adequate.
The problem with this is maintaining consistency... for instance when I do my Veteran's Portraits. I have a couple of lighting scenarios that I always shoot, and they have set ratios to ensure consistency through the body of work. If you're using a single light, or just shooting random subjects, that will work, but honestly? I think it's much easier to be >this< close before I even pick up the camera. Really, all the rear LCD does is replace the Polaroid back of the film days...

@tirediron It seems I remember a thread from a few months back that the LCD histogram and even the image is a JPEG constructed by the camera using the manufacturer's proprietary processing, and may or may not be the same as the raw histogram. So while I'm sure that experience would go a long way toward determining a correct exposure from looking at the LCD, wouldn't those of us "less knowledgeable" still be somewhat guessing blind?

@Derrel I thought the app looked decent. Glad that someone more knowledgeable confirmed it!

I find the "accuracy" of the rear LCD varies from body to body, even in the same model line, and it also depends on what you're doing with the images: Print, digital display, etc... I think whether or not you really "need" a flash meter depends on how picky you are about things like lighting ratios. I use a meter for every flash exposure, but then I'm also incredibly anal; does it make my images better? I don't know to be honest, but it's how I learned and it works for me.

Camera histograms are based off of a .JPG image, and not the raw data, so properly placing the highligt tone is not as simple as it might seem. Sekonic has an advanced optional kit for their very highest end meter, that can be tested and configured for different cameras with different DR capabilities. Very sophisticated.

The big difference in 2016 is that instead of color slide film with 6- or 7-EV total DR that needs to be separated or scanned, we now have 12,13,14,14.7 EV, and modern software to adjust the exposure and processing,so exposure is not quite so open to catastrophic errors as it was even 20 years ago. Modern digital highlight and shadow placement is much more correctable and shift-able than ever before. So, the flash meter has lost its absolutely critical status, for many people.

so properly placing the highligt tone is not as simple as it might seem.

I've found this to be the case with my K3II. Generally the shadows are close to what I see on the LCD histogram, but the highlights aren't. Strangely that wasn't the case on a previous K30 model.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Recently went with Alienbees, and discovered this on the Paul C. Buff website. Paul C. Buff - CyberSync Cyber Commander For about the price of a decent meter, their CyberSync Commander, not only works as a trigger, but allows remote adjustment, and functions as a meter for individual or groups of lights. Would this be a good choice????

1.JPG

For the price of two going out to dinner

You must have a hearty appetite or they charge more where you live. We could go out twice, maybe three times for that here!!! :1219:

I find the "accuracy" of the rear LCD varies from body to body, even in the same model line, and it also depends on what you're doing with the images: Print, digital display, etc... I think whether or not you really "need" a flash meter depends on how picky you are about things like lighting ratios. I use a meter for every flash exposure, but then I'm also incredibly anal; does it make my images better? I don't know to be honest, but it's how I learned and it works for me.

I agree. That is why I use a 25" computer monitor. It is an affordable and useful piece of gear for the studio.

Buff's CyberCommander sounds good. The ability to meter flash pops, and to remotely command flash units would be nice. I was actually unaware that their Cyber system could function as a flash meter.
Is it "worth it"? I guess that depends on both the user and the need for speed and convenience, and budget. Buff pioneered phone-cable-wired monolight adjustment maybe 25 years ago...they have vast experience in this area. Now, it is wireless and electronic AND they have added metering. Next up: built-in toaster.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back