Do I need a speedlight?

David8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys! As you will see I'm new here. I have a nikon d3100 with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens. I'm a little confused with the world of camera accessories out there. I understand that a speedlight will improve lighting in photos. However, I'm wondering just which one to buy. I understand it will depend a lot on budget, but is the entry level nikon sb-400 a good unit? Or what about the Metz and Yongnuo brands tjat I keep seeing come up? Is there an equally good unit for similar/less money? So you all know, budget is an issue - I don't have a lot to spend. I'd like to keep under $200 or $300. But I would rather not buy one and save up a bit more cash first so that the one I do buy will be a good choice.

Thank you for all your yelp.
David

Hi David then don't buy one until you have the cash to get a good one... ebay is your friend
do you own a tripod? a reflector?...
You could get 2 Yongnous for the price of a sb 700
Have you checked out the site called ...Strobist
Has some interesting things that may help
Also search through the thousands of answers that are already here on this great site
Work out what you want to achieve first before jumping in with the wallet

Depends on what you are shooting. And that you did not say.

Fair point. I will be shooting just about everything. Flowers, landscapes, cityscapes, beachscapes, nightscapes (is that a word??), portraits, etc. I understand that a speedlight won't improve some situations. But I also know that it will improve others. Which is why I didn't specify the shots I will be taking.

I will definitely have a read of the links you have shared, thank you for that.

David

Sorry. I hope you don't mind me double posting. I can't edit my previous post through tapatalk. I do have a tripod.

For the most part you won't need a speedlight. But for "nightscapes" and low light shots you would need one. It is up to you if you would want an inexpensive one or an original one. I have the same gear as yours and I have settled for an inexpensive Sunpak (DF3000N) mainly for its iTTL and bounce capabilities and is much better than the Nikon SB-400. This will initially serve my photo needs for the time being. Define you needs so that we can recommend one that is suited for your requirements.

For nightscapes, your most valuable tools will be a GOOD tripod and a remote shutter release.

My personal theory on gear is simple: If I don't have it, I must need it! Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't always agree. That said, IMO, a good speedlight is an essential part of any basic shooter's kit. The Metz and YN units are both decent and well priced, but I generally recommend that a first speedlight should be a manufacturer's unit to ensure full TTL compatibility. $300 will get you a nice used SB800; one of the best Nikon made.

This, It's hard to learn if you don't know what you should be able to expect and the OEM gear will give you that baseline.

Now, having said that, the best investment you can make is spending the time to read everything that you can on the subject of lighting. There are a number of great sources on the net but do yourself a favor and buy the book Light, Science and Magic! As you progress in your reading you are going to find that most everybody writes in a style that says that they have THE answer. There is NO 'the' answer there are only situations so don't get caught up in solutions looking for a problem or you will severely limit yourself.

You'll come across the strobist technique- this is a great technique but it is limited some people only use studio strobes. Some people only use one light, some use five or more and some only use sunlight. If you want to be a well rounded photographer using an 'only' technique is truely counter-productive.

So, save your pennies (unless you have the cash for an SB-) and start reading. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step- but it takes even longer if you step in the wrong direction. ;)

So the consensus is more reading and research and save up for a sb-800 or sb-900? Are those the only two worthwhile models? Or is the 700 okay as well?

Thank you for your help!

tirediron said:
I generally recommend that a first speedlight should be a manufacturer's unit to ensure full TTL compatibility. $300 will get you a nice used SB800; one of the best Nikon made.
I agree with this. ^^^
From my experience I bought as a noob 2 yn flashes and didn't have a clue how to use them with my camera. I then purchased an sb 700 and it was so much easier to learn.
If I had it to do over again I would have for now just bought the sb 700 and later picked up the yn flashes.
I really like the sb 700 it works great and has my recommendation.
I hope my experience helps you or at least gives you something to think about. Additionally as stated above, read, read, read. You'll quickly learn that photography is so much more than pointing and actuating the shutter.
Good luck David!
Cheers!

Manual flashes like the Yongnuo's are very inexpensive... and since they are full manual, they have an easy learning curve. You just set the shutter speed to what they require as sync speed, look at your distance to subject, and set the correct aperture for that distance and ISO. EASY! A lot of people seem to have a problem with that.. and I suspect it is because of a lack of understanding of what controls flash exposure.

TTL flashes are nice.. but not very accurate, you will not get consistent exposures that way... but people love them because they are less work, and don't require any thought (although they really do, if used correctly!) Third party (non OEM) TTL is usually very flaky... stick to OEM for TTL.

OEM units ARE preferred.. but not just for the TTL capability (which is not always as accurate as one would wish)... they are more reliable, built more solidly, usually have more power and features... but do cost a lot more.

My call? Buy an inexpensive manual flash to learn with... yongnuo 460 / 560, Vivitar 283 / 285 or similar. Pick up an OEM unit (SB-700 or above) when you can. Flash will be useful for any portrait, even in daylight... you can use it for fill. Flowers.. yes.... or any other subject you want to light or have fill light on.

Orrrr OEM older speedlight.... Love the older speedlights... Awesome build, reliability, power, etc.

My advice is to keep saving up for a SB-910. IMO, that is the first flash you should purchase. You will be amazed at what that light can do. I absolutely love mine. The SB-910 ( and 900, IIRC) can function as either a commander (in the CLR system), OR a slave, which is really an interesting feature.

So the consensus is more reading and research and save up for a sb-800 or sb-900? Are those the only two worthwhile models? Or is the 700 okay as well?

Thank you for your help!

I think the main differences are the menus on the flash units. The menus on the later models are somewhat easier to learn. (or so I have read)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back