Do I need a speedlight?

I think it is essential to have a speedlight (hot shoe flash unit, or strobe light) if you want to be able to make quality images most of the time.

In many situations that are brighter than 'low light', a speedlight is still needed for fill, balance, or accent because the subject cannot be moved to accommodate the angle of the available light.

A key number when looking at speedlights is the GN number. The GN tells the buyer how powerful the speedlight is. Unfortunately, speedlight makers don't use a standard method of diseminating GN number specifics and use a variety of tricks to make their speedlight seem more powerful than it really is.
Guide number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Camera maker speedlights have lots of bells and whistles, which is in part why they cost so much more.
All the bells and whistles also add levels of complexity to learning and using their speedlights.

If you get a Nikon unit, I recommend this inexpensive book - The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, and R1C1 Flashes

Before you buy, you can also download and look through each Nikon speedlight user's manual and/or compare specifications at NikonUSA.com
Nikon Product Manuals available for download

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi guys! As you will see I'm new here. I have a nikon d3100 with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens. I'm a little confused with the world of camera accessories out there. I understand that a speedlight will improve lighting in photos. However, I'm wondering just which one to buy. I understand it will depend a lot on budget, but is the entry level nikon sb-400 a good unit? Or what about the Metz and Yongnuo brands tjat I keep seeing come up? Is there an equally good unit for similar/less money? So you all know, budget is an issue - I don't have a lot to spend. I'd like to keep under $200 or $300. But I would rather not buy one and save up a bit more cash first so that the one I do buy will be a good choice.

Thank you for all your yelp.
David

Hello David,

Another newb here, with info fwiw. I have read some good books and been out really practicing and I very quickly decided I needed a flash. I almost bought the Nikon sb-910, but then changed my mind and went with the Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash. So far I'm very happy with my choice. That Yongnuo, so far, has been excellent. I can't say anything about longevity because I haven't had it long enough. I also got a couple of their wireless triggers and have made good use of them as well. I'm going to get another Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash pretty soon. For the price of the Yongnuo I could get two or three, or get another lens. I decided to get the flash and another lens initially, but now I'm ready for another flash. (I'm not trying to say everyone needs a flash or three; but for what I'm messing around with the flash seems necessary.)

Please keep in mind that I'm a newb and I don't want to lead anyone down a wrong path. You may be better going Nikon in the first place. I won't know until I get some mileage on my flash to see if it holds up, or not. It seems well built and performs well so far though.

You just set the shutter speed to what they require as sync speed, look at your distance to subject, and set the correct aperture for that distance and ISO.

I have a decent understand of off camera flash and I own 5 speedlights (1 SB-700, 2 Yongnuo YN560 Mark I units, and 2 Yongnuo YN560 Mark II units), but I do not understand this comment very well. Charlie, can you flush out the details a bit on the above quote? I'm not sure I understand the steps in this process...Thanks.

My call? Buy an inexpensive manual flash to learn with... yongnuo 460 / 560, Vivitar 283 / 285 or similar. Pick up an OEM unit (SB-700 or above) when you can. Flash will be useful for any portrait, even in daylight... you can use it for fill. Flowers.. yes.... or any other subject you want to light or have fill light on.

I agree with this. One of the great things about the Yongnuo flash units is that the flash will fire by optical slave without needing another receiver attached to the unit. In other words, let's say you have 2 YN flash units and a radio transmitter / receiver set up for off camera flash. Your transmitter is on the camera hot shoe and you have a receiver on 1 of your YN flashes. You don't need to purchase a second receiver for the second YN flash unit--it will fire automatically when the first unit fires as long as you have it set to slave mode (S1). This saves you money when buying radio triggers. Plus, the YN units are built like a tank, they are inexpensive and super easy to use. I love mine!

You just set the shutter speed to what they require as sync speed, look at your distance to subject, and set the correct aperture for that distance and ISO.

I have a decent understand of off camera flash and I own 5 speedlights (1 SB-700, 2 Yongnuo YN560 Mark I units, and 2 Yongnuo YN560 Mark II units), but I do not understand this comment very well. Charlie, can you flush out the details a bit on the above quote? I'm not sure I understand the steps in this process...Thanks.

I was referring to the GN chart that comes with most flashes.. usually. Set aperture based on distance, GN, and ISO .... sorry should have been more verbose!

Like this http://forums.dpreview.com/files/w/TS560x560?url=http%3A%2F%2Finterneteffects.com%2Fmike%2Fbin%2FPICS%2Fachiever_guide.jpg&signature=MrmfIRnte0Z7D0lad933tKyqpiE=

My opinion on this is that he would be better off to buy the Nikon sb-whatever (700,800,900, etc) now. Simply because for me in my experience I listened to the "yougnuo flashes are cheap and simple to operate" statements and when I tried to use them I was lost as a noob to flash. I knew nothing about them or proper use of them(manuals IMO suck with them as well). It wasn't until I bought my sb700 and started using that, that I understood and now I could throw on one of my yougnuo flashes and would probably do ok. However, I would still prefer my sb700 in a uncontrolled (parties and the like) environment.
This all of course is my opinion based on my experience. The OP may be more intelligent than I and may have a different experience.

I was referring to the GN chart that comes with most flashes.. usually. Set aperture based on distance, GN, and ISO .... sorry should have been more verbose!

Like this http://forums.dpreview.com/files/w/TS560x560?url=http%3A%2F%2Finterneteffects.com%2Fmike%2Fbin%2FPICS%2Fachiever_guide.jpg&signature=MrmfIRnte0Z7D0lad933tKyqpiE=

You're dating yourself! ;)

Wow. So many opinions! This is a busy forum. Thank you all so much. I think i have decided that I should go with OEM parts for now, and I will have a look for an sb-something that I can afford. This photography world is very expensive isn't it!

You're dating yourself! ;)

YEP! But the old way still works... and it is EASY for anyone to learn! lol!

TTL this and TTL that... phooey! lol! Some people need to take a basic physics class!

Wow. So many opinions! This is a busy forum. Thank you all so much. I think i have decided that I should go with OEM parts for now, and I will have a look for an sb-something that I can afford. This photography world is very expensive isn't it!

OP.. I have two SB-900's and two Yongnuo 560's. The Yongnuo's only get used as portable background, hair or rim lights... because YES.. the SB's are better! But if you can't afford an SB, the others are a great alternative that you CAN afford easily. And I think EVERYONE should learn manual flash. and learn about how aperture affects flash exposure. TTL doesn't teach you anything! It really isn't hard.... don't let the bad press scare you off.

I use my speed light for at least 1/2 my shots. I have a SB700, 2 x Yongnuo 565EX's, and use of a SB910. So, I can give you a pretty informed opinion of them. The SB910 and the Yongnuo's have about the same amount of power while the SB700 is maybe 2/3's of a stop less powerful. Both the SB910 and yn-565EX are large full size flashes and are a bit over sized for your 3100. The SB700 is really a perfect size and has plenty of power. It also has more functions than the Yongnuo but not quite as many as the SB910. You can't really go wrong with any of them but my favorite is the SB700.

If I were to do it all again, I'd do exactly like I did, sb600 and a YN460II later. I like my 600 for ttl ONLY when its on camera and shooting indoors.

Keep in mind, all of the commander stuff you hear won't mean anything to you. D3100 can't command an off camera flash (minus optical flash but that's straight manual mode anyways).

The SB-910 (possibly others) has a slave function that will fire the flash upon ANY flash from ANY camera. Recently I set mine up on a stand pointing toward where some children would be singing. Before the singing, everyone's cameras that flashed set off the 910. I was becoming concerned that it would deplete the batteries before I got my shots.

Still a pretty cool function, if you ask me.

So yea, the D3100 will fire a remote SB-910 using its built-in flash. Likewise any cheap P&S of any brand with a built-in flash.

The SB-910 (possibly others) has a slave function that will fire the flash upon ANY flash from ANY camera. Recently I set mine up on a stand pointing toward where some children would be singing. Before the singing, everyone's cameras that flashed set off the 910. I was becoming concerned that it would deplete the batteries before I got my shots.

Still a pretty cool function, if you ask me.

So yea, the D3100 will fire a remote SB-910 using its built-in flash. Likewise any cheap P&S of any brand with a built-in flash.
I think you are talking about SU-4 slave function. I know the SB700 and SB910 have this feature, SB800 probably does too. This is a manual/automatic optical trigger function. In Auto, the light mimics the power of the triggering flash or you can set it to Manual and adjust the power yourself. If you want to do off camera TTL flash with your D3100 you will need a COMMANDER. This can be a SU-800 which communicates via infra red with other Nikon TTL compatible flashes or you can use a SB700 or SB910 as the COMMANDER with other flashes. Cameras like the D7000 and others but not the D3000-D5100, have the COMMANDER function built into the pop-up flash.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But this post directly continues from above. Some more thinking has gone into the speedlight, and some discussions with the s/o. She's worried about the cost of an sb700(@ ~$500). I'm worried the SB400 isn't going to be suitable (mainly worried about the directionality of the head). I'm thinking either a Yonguno YN560 III or YN565-EX. (~$86, $150 respectively). One of the differences I can see is the TTL compatibility with the 565. Am I going to miss this if I go for the cheaper option?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back