Do I need a speedlight?

Have you shopped for a used SB 600? They're running around $250 on e-bay.

Shooting manual is easier after you're over the learning curve and most anybody can get there in a weekend or even half a day really.

If you are a casual shooter then TTL is probably the way to go for you.

Have you shopped for a used SB 600? They're running around $250 on e-bay.

Shooting manual is easier after you're over the learning curve and most anybody can get there in a weekend or even half a day really.

If you are a casual shooter then TTL is probably the way to go for you.

Personally, I think I can live without TTL. It's something that I am sure I will get used to pretty quickly. I suppose I will just have to have a play around with the settings. Read up on the theory and all that... All the normal things. :) I suppose my main question was if there was something naive that I'm not aware of...

Nope, that's pretty much it. About the only thing that TTL gives you is speed when shooting with the flash on camera for fill.

I'd get the cheaper one and a couple of Yongnuo rf-603n transceivers, a stand and an umbrella and go to it. (the N in the rf-603n stands for Nikon, get three if you want to use it as a remote trigger for your camera)

Nope, that's pretty much it. About the only thing that TTL gives you is speed when shooting with the flash on camera for fill.

I'd get the cheaper one and a couple of Yongnuo rf-603n transceivers, a stand and an umbrella and go to it. (the N in the rf-603n stands for Nikon, get three if you want to use it as a remote trigger for your camera)

I'm thinking you're right. But something I don't understand, is why 3?

Yong Nuo has a few cheap TTL flashes.

While I do use manual the majority of the time, a TTL flash is incredibly useful when attached to a TTL cord when shooting
in extremely low light situations and you're constantly moving around.

I'm thinking you're right. But something I don't understand, is why 3?

For using as a remote you need one for the flash, one on the camera to control the flash and plug into the camera to fire it and the third one to fire both of those.

Look what arrived yesterday!

$IMG_2441.JPG

I went with the YN560. I had a bit of a play with it last night. I think I can definitely work with the manual flash. Not having TTL isn't going to be a big deal for me I think. I didn't get the wireless triggers this time around, I wanted to learn how to use the flash first. I have been looking around for some good deals on these though.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Look what arrived yesterday!

I went with the YN560. I had a bit of a play with it last night. I think I can definitely work with the manual flash. Not having TTL isn't going to be a big deal for me I think. I didn't get the wireless triggers this time around, I wanted to learn how to use the flash first. I have been looking around for some good deals on these though.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Good luck on your purchase with the 560. I'm sure it will serve you well. I have a SB-600 that I use with my D80 when I need TTL for flash, but I actually just picked up a couple of YN-560II's that I'm waiting to come so I can start learning how to do some strobist stuff. I also picked up a pair of Cactus V5 triggers and I've been happy with them.

In my research on triggers, I read some good things on the Yongnuo RF-603 triggers as well. One of the only reasons I went with the V5 over the Yongnuo trigger is that the RF-603 has some known issues with the SB-600, so I didn't want to get stuck with triggers that wouldn't work with all my flashes. I also like the transceiver design so I don't have to have a set of separate transmitters and receivers -- I can just grab them, flip the switch to either TX or RX, and get shooting.

Again, happy shooting with your new flash. I always love getting new stuff that I can use with my camera!

One of the only reasons I went with the V5 over the Yongnuo trigger is that the RF-603 has some known issues with the SB-600, so I didn't want to get stuck with triggers that wouldn't work with all my flashes. I also like the transceiver design so I don't have to have a set of separate transmitters and receivers -- I can just grab them, flip the switch to either TX or RX, and get shooting.
Just an F.Y.I., the RF-603's are transceivers as well, and you don't even have to flip a switch.

Just an F.Y.I., the RF-603's are transceivers as well, and you don't even have to flip a switch.

So am I better off with 603's?? Or is it not that much more hassle?

So am I better off with 603's?? Or is it not that much more hassle?
Not having used the Cactus, I can only tell you that I think the RF-603's were the right choice for me and my Canon bodies and assorted lights. They're about half the price of the V5s from what I see, auto-transmit or receive with no TX/RX switch to confuse matters, and have been utterly dependable for me. I've used several different trigger systems over the years, and wouldn't hesitate to choose these again if they were lost or stolen.

One of the only reasons I went with the V5 over the Yongnuo trigger is that the RF-603 has some known issues with the SB-600, so I didn't want to get stuck with triggers that wouldn't work with all my flashes. I also like the transceiver design so I don't have to have a set of separate transmitters and receivers -- I can just grab them, flip the switch to either TX or RX, and get shooting.

I was really considering the 603's until I read about the issues with the SB-600. Since sometimes my SB-600 is what comes with me on the shoot and I don't always have the angle/line-of-sight to use the commander on my D80, I wanted to make sure my radio triggers worked with everything I have. I probably would have gone with the 603's if I didn't have the SB-600. I like the fact it can figure out the TX/RX thing without me telling it what to do, and the cheaper price with good quality is always great!

David - Since you have the YN560 as your speedlight, I'd say go with the 603's. They are simpler in design (less to go wrong), and they are cheaper than the V5's.

Most reactions

Back