Do I need a tripod ring for the EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM?

Traxtor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Title says it all. Do i need a tripod ring for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM if I'm going to use it with a 400D on a tripod or is it unnecessary?

This should have been in the beginners forum shouldn't it? :\ Oh well..

You don't need it...although it might be handy.

The 70-200 F4 L, isn't all that big & heavy...although it's not small and light either. Using a tripod ring is about balance...and protecting the mount. If the lens isn't too heavy, then it will be fine with the camera mounted to the tripod....but if the lens it rather heavy, then the it will put more stress on the lens mount and have an unwieldy balance, in which case you can use a tripod ring to move the mount closer to the centre of balance.

Also, the strength of the tripod head will be a factor. A lesser head might not hold it's position well, when mounted to the camera rather than the lens.

I never used one with mine. Do you have the lens? If not, wait til you get it and see for yourself if you need one.

Thanks Big Mike, that about sums it up!

I never used one with mine. Do you have the lens? If not, wait til you get it and see for yourself if you need one.

No I just ordered it, but I want everything in place until it arrives. But if i don't need it. I'll see how it works out. Just wasn't sure about the weight balance.

Thanks Big Mike, that about sums it up!

No I just ordered it, but I want everything in place until it arrives. But if i don't need it. I'll see how it works out. Just wasn't sure about the weight balance.

You could buy the mount for another $100. But really, the lens is so light you can just use the camera mount on the tripod. A bit front heavy balance-wise so be sure the head is sufficiently tight.

Title says it all. Do i need a tripod ring for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM if I'm going to use it with a 400D on a tripod or is it unnecessary?

This should have been in the beginners forum shouldn't it? :\ Oh well..

Do you need it? No. Can it be handy. Absolutely. Lens mount rings are not all about the weight of the lens tugging on the body mount. Any good camera has a steel mount on the lens and the body. Not really a problem, even with something like the 400 f2.8L. At 11lbs it is not a real hand shooter, but it also will not damage the mount just because it is hanging there.

The real advantage to a Lens mount ring is the balance that they provide. The 70-200 f4L is a light lens as that series goes, but it is still a long lens. If you use the Lens mount ring you are balancing the load on a monopod or tripod. Makes shooting from a monopod steadier and easier to adjust a head on a tripod if the weight is nicely distributed.

You don't need it. I don't have one. I do however, want one. It's nice to be able to balance the load so you can adjust your tripod head nice and easily...

Wow, my friend just ordered one for his lens, not genuine nikon though. But his was taking a rediculously long time to ship so the seller sent him another. Then 2 weeks later he has 2 of them. Anyways, im sure i could get one from him and sell it to you if you want it. But its really is not that big of a lens.

if its anything like my minolta 70-210 f/4 (beercan) , then you shouldnt need one. Mine doesnt even have a place to put a ring on it. I know the canon version is white though, and it looks like it might be a bit bulkier, but i cant really tell... how bout just try it and see what happens?

As shorty said I'm gonna try it out and see how it works :) Just needed to check if it was necessary to have one ;) Thanks for all the tips though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back