Do I need CS3?

AJK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm an amateur (waiting until the d90 comes out to buy my d80) with much more experience shooting film than digital. therefore, my software knowledge is seriously lacking. that said, can i get away with lightroom for strictly hobby purposes? i'm not too excited to drop a ton of money on software. comp is a macbook.

I have Lightroom and Photoshop elements 6. I realy don't use lightroom at all. I pretty much do everything in Photoshop Elements. Its a very powerful program.

I'd suggest Photoshop Elements, it will do most of what Photoshop can do, but it's much less expensive.

I agree and elements 7 is comming out very soon

Take a look at PaintShop Pro X2 with the Viveza Plug in. The advantage is that it is that this combo is very fast, intuitive, easy to use and might cost you a total of $300 or less, depending on where you live.

skieur

i agree with Big Mike.. i use a macbook as well.. I use lightroom and CS3 but elements will do you good if your still learning the software side

I have both CS3 and Lightroom (LR) and I use CS3 exclusively. I liked LR when I was just running CS2 but the new "Bridge" that comes with CS3 along with ACR does everything that LR did plus more. I also couldn't stand using more then one program in my Post Processing (PP) work flow and CS3 does it all for me.

The major draw back of CS3 is the cost of the product. I got a break on the price through my job. Given that I don't get paid to take pictures I don't think that I would have dropped this kind of cash otherwise without some sort break or deal.

There are other free alternatives to both LR and CS3 that are just as powerful.

I also couldn't stand using more then one program in my Post Processing (PP) work flow and CS3 does it all for me.

i agree.. i use lightroom for most of my processing.. i only use photoshop when i want to add frames, or if there is something that really has to.. like a wedding I just did, beautiful picture of the bridge a groom (medevil themed wedding) but there is a car in the background.. so I did all my color processing in lightroom, then I cloned the car out in PS

I survived half of of my photography expirence (2 years, already? wow!!!) using photoshop elements 5. I have CS3 and haven't looked back. Masking in 16bit is awesome but not neccessary. I would get PS E6/7 as a starting block on learning how to digitally touch up your pictures then go with CS3 if you need the extra power.

The problem with using something other than photoshop cs or above, is a lot of time you will miss out on user created material... (filters, brushes, etc)
If you are just doing basic editing (levels, curves) don't bother, but cs3 is a very very good program and is worth the 600+ dollars
If your budget can't really do that pick up and older (but not too old version)
just do a search on amazon.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS-Mac/dp/B0000DBOA5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1220629570&sr=1-2[/ame]

Is CS3 overkill if it's being given to you or should I be starting with Photoshop elements that I would have to purchase a copy of?

Ok, this is one Im passionate about. Go aperture 2. I run that ad lightroom on my macbook pro and it it is heaps better, then on the iTunes store there is a pod cast you can download which teaches you the neat little tricks and it has improved my post production dramatically. I ended up uninstalling lightroom for that reason.

Most reactions

Back