Do I need CS3?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AJK, Sep 5, 2008.

1. AJK

AJK TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm an amateur (waiting until the d90 comes out to buy my d80) with much more experience shooting film than digital. therefore, my software knowledge is seriously lacking. that said, can i get away with lightroom for strictly hobby purposes? i'm not too excited to drop a ton of money on software. comp is a macbook.

2. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have Lightroom and Photoshop elements 6. I realy don't use lightroom at all. I pretty much do everything in Photoshop Elements. Its a very powerful program.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd suggest Photoshop Elements, it will do most of what Photoshop can do, but it's much less expensive.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree and elements 7 is comming out very soon

5. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Take a look at PaintShop Pro X2 with the Viveza Plug in. The advantage is that it is that this combo is very fast, intuitive, easy to use and might cost you a total of $300 or less, depending on where you live.

skieur

6. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree with Big Mike.. i use a macbook as well.. I use lightroom and CS3 but elements will do you good if your still learning the software side

7. Call_me_Tom

Call_me_Tom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have both CS3 and Lightroom (LR) and I use CS3 exclusively. I liked LR when I was just running CS2 but the new "Bridge" that comes with CS3 along with ACR does everything that LR did plus more. I also couldn't stand using more then one program in my Post Processing (PP) work flow and CS3 does it all for me.

The major draw back of CS3 is the cost of the product. I got a break on the price through my job. Given that I don't get paid to take pictures I don't think that I would have dropped this kind of cash otherwise without some sort break or deal.

There are other free alternatives to both LR and CS3 that are just as powerful.

8. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree.. i use lightroom for most of my processing.. i only use photoshop when i want to add frames, or if there is something that really has to.. like a wedding I just did, beautiful picture of the bridge a groom (medevil themed wedding) but there is a car in the background.. so I did all my color processing in lightroom, then I cloned the car out in PS

9. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I survived half of of my photography expirence (2 years, already? wow!!!) using photoshop elements 5. I have CS3 and haven't looked back. Masking in 16bit is awesome but not neccessary. I would get PS E6/7 as a starting block on learning how to digitally touch up your pictures then go with CS3 if you need the extra power.

10. jakedoza

jakedoza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if money is an issue.. try GIMP.. its free.

11. rockandrowland

rockandrowland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The problem with using something other than photoshop cs or above, is a lot of time you will miss out on user created material... (filters, brushes, etc)
    If you are just doing basic editing (levels, curves) don't bother, but cs3 is a very very good program and is worth the 600+ dollars
    If your budget can't really do that pick up and older (but not too old version)
    just do a search on amazon.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS-Mac/dp/B0000DBOA5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1220629570&sr=1-2[/ame]

12. sxesweets

sxesweets TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is CS3 overkill if it's being given to you or should I be starting with Photoshop elements that I would have to purchase a copy of?