Do I really Need IS?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by YoungPic, Aug 12, 2008.

1. YoungPic

YoungPic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Got my canon 40d and can't be happier. Now im trying to find the 70-200 lens that fits me. Ive looked at sigma, and heard really good and extremley bad also, so kinda passed them a side. So now im pretty much locked in with canon, and the 70-200 2.8, dont like the f/4 too much because im probably going to buy the 1.4x converter also. So there's my choice the 70-200 2.8, now my question is do i really need the IS? I have it in my 17-85 and it works but dont really rely on it too much. Ill be using the 70-200 mostly outside for race cars and other stuff. the odd time i would use it inside i would probably use a flash and plus the lens is a 2.8 so its fast. So basically IS or no IS? and will i see a difference between the two in means of picture quality?

p.s. and of course the whole reasoning beind this is that the IS is almost $700 more

2. It's great for race cars, because the IS has two modes on that lens - one just for panning shots.

3. YoungPic

YoungPic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, but i think i got a pretty good handle on panning, why do i need a mode for that when the camera it'll be mounted to has servo AF and shoots 6.5 fps?

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and love it ... no IS ... and the Sigma 100-300mm f4 ... no IS ... and am perfectly happy without it.

5. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think IS or VR, AS whatever is best for casual walk-about low-light photography in camera bodies where high ISO is less than grand. If you have the right gear for the job in a professional environment (and that includes tri/mono pods, fast lenses, etc.) I wouldn't imagine stabilization would ever be an issue and probably mostly not ever even turned on. For something like panning at a race track to maximize BG blur it can actually ruin an intended effect or make camera operation unintuitive.

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the extra cash required for it doesn't bother you, then I would always recommend IS for any lens that goes above 50mm. The benefits are just so great, even sometimes for the middle-of-a-sunny-day shooters like yourself. Of course these benefits are only more pronounced the further you are from high-noon.

Sure, you can use your flash indoors, but that's not always something you want to do. Sometimes it causes too much disturbance. For instance, I did a wedding this weekend and flash was something I avoided as much as possible. If I could kiss the Anti-Shake mechanism in my camera, I would have after that day.

7. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I get VR in all my lenses too. But I'm not a pro either so... Still $700 for that IS... Ouch! That's a whole 'nother camera with IS built in. :p

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I believe that IS/VR/Whateveryourbrandcallsit is for the most part a needless luxury. There are applications for which it is very useful, but for 95% of the time, it serves no useful function. That aside, how many good tripods & heads can you buy for what you'd save buying non VR lenses vice their more expensive counterparts. As well, given the comparitive delicacy of the components that make up a VR system, it seems something that could easily be damaged when lenses are getting hard use.

9. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, yet another reason in-camera IS is superior! ;)

10. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    I think this quote from my thread on "The next major step" makes a lot of sense:

I admit that I hadn't thought of this before, but after reading, it makes perfect sense to me.

11. LuckyStarPhotography

LuckyStarPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're like me and hate tripods than I think IS is a must. I won't ever buy a lens without it. But that's me. :) Congrats on the 40D btw~ I love mine and a 70-200 Canon IS is my next big purchase.

12. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    :( Is that even legal???