do memory cards wear out?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by emogirl, Jan 9, 2007.

1. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

I was told once that memory cards do wear out....kind of like a video tape being tape over so many times, eventually the quality goes kaput. Is this true? The reason I ask, a friend sent me pics from her camera and she is haivng problems....mostly streaks thru all her pics, i have never seen anything like it before in 15 years of photography....having gone over her camera and pics thoroughly, that is all that i could come up with. Since I am quite new to digital, I need your folks help!!! Sorry, i dont have the pics anymore to show you.

thanks, Kim
    Please feel free to move this thread to the correct forum if i'm not there.

2. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

im bumping this in hopes of getting an answer...thanks'

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know but you looked lonely... My guess is that it would take a long time and more likely have an accident first but i guess everything wears out eventually.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would guess that the camera would have problems before the card...there are just so many more things that could go wrong with a camera. The test is simple...just try the card in a different camera. If the problem persists with both cameras...then it's the card...If not, then it's the camera :(

5. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

yes....that was our solution, she was trying the little card that came with her camera and see what happens....in the meantime, while i'm waiting to hear back from her, i was trying to find out about the memory card wear....so i'm guessing you have never heard of that??

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard of them 'going bad' or just being bad from the start...but either people don't say what the actual problem is...or the files are corrupt. I've never specifically heard of a card causing streaks.

7. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As an after thought I have a digital camera I shoot things for ebay with. It ruins memory cards for some reason. Once they have been formatted in the camera they can not be read by anything else. I had to hook the camera to the computer to read the cards. I don't use that type for anything else so it's okay with me. I also will never in my whole life fill that little card up.

8. tasman

tasman TPF Noob!

Memory cards can become unusable, or corrupted in some way. It is probably from a static shock of some sort. Either from the camera or when it was removed and put into a reader. Either way it is probably better to get a new card and not use a corruted card and risk loosing your photos.

9. Player_1

Player_1 TPF Noob!

I have a card that I've taken over 9000 pictures with. It never burned out, so I figure it's ok.

10. Anubis

Anubis TPF Noob!

My CF card says "good for 10,000 insert/ejects". So it should be good for about 46000000 photos. (Plus, I never eject it, I always hook my camera to the PC and don;t use a card reader. So hopefully I'll get more :p)

11. boclcown

boclcown TPF Noob!

technically, all digital media has some sort of life-span. DVD's are supposed to last between 75 and 100 years, I think, and I'm sure CF cards have a life span as well. Thing is, it will be extreemly long, and there is a much greater chance of something going wrong with th card (static shock, being dropper, corrupted, etc.) than the card just dying out.

In most cases, I would think that by the time the CF card actually dies, CF will have long been replaced by SD or something along that line.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have heard somewhere that the lifespan of CF cards is limited by the number of writes/erases on it

but this is purely based on something i think i remember, it might be totally wrong.