Do my pictures look soft?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by morganleigh, Jan 12, 2009.

1. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    if so, any tips on what I need to do differently? I shot with a canon 30D and a 50mm f/1.8 or a 28mm f/1.8. I do not have the info for each picture with me, but I kept the shutter speed above 1/60 and the aperture above 2.8.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    "Soft" is subjective. The fourth shot is soft, but it works for me. It is an intimate moment between mommy and baby - the hard edged sharpness of tone seperation might or might not have enhanced the shot. It doesn't take away from it though.

In number two, the shot is sharp in the right places and doesn't take away from the portrait.

Number one and number three do seem a little not sharp, but again, they aren't deal-breakingly so, and don't take away from the subject. Plus, you can get away with a little softness with the babes.

3. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the review. I was very happy with these pictures, but just got the feedback that they were soft. Maybe it is a personal preference, but I do like a little softness with babies. I try to avoid sharpening or adding too much clarity with a baby.

I have only been doing this 7 months so I really want to make sure I'm on the right track. If there is something else technically wrong with these pictures, I would like to know so I can learn how to fix the problems.

4. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    Are these not pictures of your kid?

5. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no, they are a friend's kid.

6. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    If they are someones elses kid, then it doesn't really matter if its soft or not to you - it only matters what they want. A lot of people go for these slightly sharp, high key shots of kids - its the "style". This fellows work for example. I suppose it all depends on what aesthetic you are trying to put out there. . .

7. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

The mom loved them. Someone else said they looked soft, but they are also a fairly new photographer so I wanted to get other opinions. I am happy with them and the mom is happy, but I still want to make sure I have good technique. maybe they were just not this other person's style.

8. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    Number 2 and Number 4 are clear winners. Number 1 and Number 3 are not losers, but they wouldn't be on my short list for printing out, or for use as "samples" of my work.

9. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes, that is definitly a different style than what I do. It looks like they are using flash or studio lights. The pictures are great, just different. I do like a soft, natural light and rarely use flash.

I am glad to know my softness is a matter of style or preference, not an error in my technique. The critique I got made me concerned that the pictures were not good.

I am still developing my skills and style so it really helps to get feedback to make sure I'm not missing something key.

10. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did more sharpening to the pictures. do you like the original version or the version with more sharpening?

5original
    [​IMG]

5Sharpened more
    [​IMG]

6original [​IMG]

6Sharpened more
    [​IMG]

7original [​IMG]

7Sharpened more
    [​IMG]

8original
    [​IMG]

8Sharpened more
    [​IMG]

11. morganleigh

morganleigh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hmmm, they don't look very different in this small size.

12. Parago

Parago TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMHO, only teh last one looks better after sharpening. In teh first three, all it did was increase the amount of noise.

One tiny piece of advice in regards to other people's opinions: I personally don't think that 'all that matters is what THEY want', even if they're paying customers. YOU have to be the one standing behind your art/product; at the end of the day it's YOU who has to go to bed satisfied with your day's work and YOU need to feel good about what you're creating.

If you're always trying to make everyone happy, you'll never get anywhere; don't let some random person's vague criticism nurture any kind of insecurity within you.

Honest, open, and detailed TECHNICAL advice is what you need to look for and be open to - ignore soundbites like 'too soft/too hard', 'too saturated/too pale', etc. Those are matters of personal preference but have nothing to do with the actual quality of your art/product.

I love number 2 in the original post, btw.