Do people actually Buy Photographs? did you personally have any success sellings your Images?

My photos sell. But I sell portraits and albums (weddings + births)
sure....But I was thinking more of "fine art" Photography. As opposed to Photos of their weddings. Wall art Photography that type of thing

To sell prints you need to be able to market and promote yourself just as much, if not more, than be able to take compelling photos.

Fine Art photos come in two kinds.

The Peter Lik kind and the Cindy Sherman kind. These two things have nothing to do with one another.

Which kind were you referring to?

The Peter Lik kind and the Cindy Sherman kind. These two things have nothing to do with one another.

Let me search and I will let you know........

To sell prints you need to be able to market and promote yourself just as much, if not more, than be able to take compelling photos.

Completely agree. I had a validating amount of success selling prints - both B&W enlargements and other originals done using various alternative photographic techniques - for several years. Usually this was just through arts & craft fairs, some through my site. But I was actively attending these events throughout the year and blogging, too. ugh! If you're not into into self-promotion, it's doubtful it's going to work well for you. Once you get to BE Peter Lik or Cindy Sherman it's practically done for you - but I'm not hoping to reach that level.

These days, I do what I love to do because I enjoy it. Some I frame for myself. The rest will just pile up, unless I feel the urge to put myself out there again. It takes time and energy! :)

Let me search and I will let you know........

Lik takes pretty pictures and sells them for huge sums of money through an international corporation. Cindy Sherman makes meaningful photographs about the cultural struggles that females face.

Both sell their images for millions of dollars a print, but one has a value which is steadily decreasing and the other has a value that is steadily increasing.

Can you guess which is which?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/b...for-success-sell-prints-print-money.html?_r=0

Last edited:
In the end, he's making a lot more money than all of us. More power to him. I'm not hating :D

Online, I've had the most success selling on Fine Art America. I'm not baying of the Bentley, but I'm selling stuff.

Where I've made the most money, though, is in canvas prints. I get them at a good price, so I have room to mark them up pretty considerably while still allowing them to be a good value in the eyes of buyers.

What are they buying? Well, they're buying what I choose to print. There have been sunsets, sunrises (not necessarily in that order), lighthouses, cars, musicians, animals, trees, motorcycles and, well, the list continues ad nauseum. I've done black & white, color and IR.

I print what I like and, thankfully, a lot of them sell, and a lot of them sell pretty quickly.

That could change in the blink of an eye, though, and I always try to stay cognazent of that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back