Do photos need to "represent" something or have deeper meaning?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by davidbeckphoto, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Big fan of your work. I wouldn't change a thing.

As a lover of the craft of photography, I would be critical of your work if your lighting was poor, or the exposures were off-the-charts bad, etc etc, but your lighting isn't poorly done, your exposures are rendered well, you clearly have composition, color, content, and story in mind. Honestly I don't think your photos look like they are unplanned at all, in fact they look like a lot of talented people collaborated to make them, and I see plenty of depth as well as relevance. This is based on viewing the images on your instagram.

Also, to me your photos DEFINITELY don't look like you're copying Terry Richardson. Some of the members here can just be very salty. Please stick around, I promise we're not all that unfriendly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It must had been another photographer that takes pictures of barely-clad celebrities against a white wall doing handstands with a flash on lens-axis....

:popcorn: the salt tastes good on my popcorn!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It might not taste as good after having been rubbed into a wound, however.

4. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The photo of my fougasse had a meaning. It was meant to tempt y'all, and it worked. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Simplicity is often discarded in the search for deeper meaning. Sometimes a pretty sunset is just that, something to be enjoyed for a fleeting moment.

6. Bill The Lurker

Bill The Lurker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you think david's images look like terry's it's because you're only looking at technique. lots of people use on-axis light and pretty girls these days it shifts a billion dollars worth of couture every year. it's a look with very specific properties that appeals to a specific demo with a lot of success. technique is a tool for expression, at best, not a list of right and wrong choices.

its depressing to see this thread. guy comes in, basically a pretty successful photographer with real publications relevant tohis niche, he's got a real honest question and he's basically chased away first by the locals and then the mods decide that his work is too racy even to be linked to from here an astonishing change in policy.

nobody's even taken a stab at his question me included whoops.

david, assuming that you're still around, no pictures don't have to mean anything unless you want them to or if you insist on showing them in a context where we assume there's some sort of meaning (like an art gallery showing, or whatev)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think these are raw or impromptu, they look directed. So they don't seem as you described. I don't think these look like young women just going thru a daily routine; they look like models pretending to be hanging around an apartment. Who sits around the house eating ice cream on the kitchen counter in topless lingerie?

Just calling something lifestyle doesn't necessarily make it so, or make it well done lifestyle photography. Some are framed with extra space that seems unnecessary, or objects in the background that don't seem like they're part of the image; I think framing shots either something needs to work in the photo or it needs to not be there.

There are some with odd perspective or borderline tilt, but they just seem off. You mentioned Helmut Newton but I don't see that influence here (or any possible study of German expressionism which comes to mind looking at Newton's work) - if you look at Newton's photos to me I think he placed a subject and objects exactly where he wanted them in the frame (including outlets, etc.). When he used leading perspective or tilt it seems like the angle of something like a stone fence was placed where he wanted it in relation to the subject and other objects; he obviously considered where shadows were placed in the frame. I would not have known you were influenced by Newton if you hadn't said so.

It's up to you what your photos mean; I don't think these necessarily represent what you describe. I saw some I thought were pretty cool, one that had color and movement seen in neon lights in the background, etc. The one in Italian Vogue was similar to that. But then there are some in crummy looking convenience stores, one with a young woman in a mink coat - that just seems like it's trying too hard to look like something but to me it just doesn't work. But Newton can have a woman in a rain soaked stone alley and it works.

I think it looks like you would benefit from studying art and photography more and figure out what you are trying to say; most of the portfolio work could be further developed. Not that someone can't get photos used or published, but that doesn't mean you stop learning or working to improve. Or I guess it's up to you if you'd rather appear to be a Terry wannabee, because that's what came to mind to me as it did others - if that's not what you are or want to be, maybe you need to think about what's coming across and how you want to represent yourself.

9. Bill The Lurker

Bill The Lurker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    when you can't think of what to say just post some copyright material it's like supercalifragilistic

10. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I assume you are addressing me?

I can think of plenty to say. It's just not worth the effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    "Did they say those terrible things about me? I guess they didn't know my other faults or they would have mentioned them too." - Epictetus

• Like Like x 1
  12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

The user in question was not "chased away". He was simply told that this content wasn't deemed suitable in the open forum as a result of the policies put in place by the administration/owners of the site. He was told how to access the NSFW section where he can freely post his question and photos. This is the last post on the subject; if you wish to contest moderator actions please use the private messaging system.

If you disagree with site policy then there's the feedback section where you can freely post your argument/case for changing policy. We DO read and listen to suggestions there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.