Do photos need to "represent" something or have deeper meaning?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by davidbeckphoto, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The title of this thread; "Do photos need to "represent" something or have deeper meaning?" appears to be a non-sequitur in that both options are similar, so it cannot easily be answered without some clarification. Not knowing if the title question is the one we are expected to try to answer, some of us just skipped on to the text of your first post, which has posed a completely different question. It should not be a surprise that not everyone here is inspired to answer questions that they don't understand.

That's not what I get out of it. In fact, I would say it is more like the opposite of your intention. All of the shots I saw were highly directed, completely aware, very "groomed", (they may be unedited, I can't tell), and not spontaneous at all.

Here again, I am not sure of your question. If you are asking a question about photography in general, and not just yours, then my answer is (I'll try to re-think your question) A good photograph will always represent something, and a great photograph will often convey deep meaning.

Now if I am to divine the intent of your second question, I will answer thusly: Your photographs do appear to be planned out (see my comments above), and whatever meaning you may have attempted to convey remains hidden.

You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bill The Lurker

Bill The Lurker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im pretty sure that lifestyle here means naturalistic settings, homes, parks, stores, etc. places that either are or appear to be places that people conduct their normal lives. obviously the models are not conducting their normal lives there.

this is incidentaly one of several points on which david differs from terry the latter works largely in what are obviously studio spaces

3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    quoted for false.

It's more than the complete and utter blatant copying of his technique for the white wall shot, it's also the subject matter -- the herpes infested, sex drugs and rock & roll, child-predator style to them; the utter disregard for class and taste. It's also the retro Polaroidesque look to them. The overly contrived raunchy-casualness of a staged scene. The weird people, wearing weird things, doing weird things with weird things. The "OMG look at the roll of film this customer just dropped off" feel to them. The posing with animals....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Congratulations, you just won this thread! :icon_cheers:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    So much hatred in this thread.

I don't understand why someone taking a picture that's outside of either one's comfort zone or one's own subject matter interests is immediately considered weird/contrived/copying/etc.

I found the images interesting. Interesting enough to follow @davidbeckphoto on IG. :icon_thumbsup:

It'll provide some relief from the usual food and landscape shots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I'm not sure about hatred, but I do see a conversation that has outlived its usefulness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.