Do Picture Styles affect photos in RAW?

duarted

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This might be a silly question but... do the picture styles affect the photos when you shoot in RAW?

If yes, which would be the best picture style settings to use? (I use a Canon 6D)

Thank you,

Duarte

Edit, nvm, I see you're talking about the color rendition settings. No, those don't change raw, unless you choose to have them processed in a raw reader than can read canon sidecar files. I think only Canons proprietary software does this. Even then it doesn't impact the raw, it impacts the raw conversion.
_______

(Old answer)
Yes and no.

Yes in that the picture style modes (like portrait or sports or landscape or whatever) will change the setting the camera picks.

No in that a picture at a given setting will look exactly the same in raw no matter what mode your camera was in to achieve those settings.

To give an illustrative example, if you pick the action mode, it might choose f/4, SS 1/400, ISO 800. The same exact scene, if you put it in landscape mode, might choose f/11, 1/50, ISO 400.

But if you took the same scene in manual mode in raw at f/11, 1/50, ISO 400 it would look exactly like it did when you had it in auto landscape mode.

Last edited:
Depends on how you've set your editing software up. Some default to applying in-camera settings to the image before it's shown on the monitor, others don't.

Ok thanks for the help! I also thought it didn't affect.

I just import my RAW files to Lightroom and they look pretty RAW if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back