Do they ALL do that?!

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Being a photographer, I'm often asked for a recommendation on camera purchase. My good friend just asked me about point-and-shoots. I started to wade through the ads and decided to call Canon directly.

The one point-and-shoot in my house (my wife's) is the only one I've ever handled. One thing I HATED about it was a delay between the time I pressed the shutter release and the time the shutter tripped. Canon told me ALL their point-and-shoots operate that way. So did Nikon.

Does anyone make a camera without this frustration?

Thanks.
Pete

I've got a Canon A540 and it does delay. It doesn't bother me too much though.

I've got a Canon A540 and it does delay. It doesn't bother me too much though.
Have you used a DSLR, or even a film SLR...or even a film P&S? If not, then the delay might not bother you. However, if you are used to the almost instant response from a camera...then that little delay seems like it's a year.

Sorry Pete...all the digicams I've used are terrible...and even worse depending on the situation (waiting for AF in a dark room).

Have you used a DSLR, or even a film SLR...or even a film P&S? If not, then the delay might not bother you. However, if you are used to the almost instant response from a camera...then that little delay seems like it's a year.

Sorry Pete...all the digicams I've used are terrible...and even worse depending on the situation (waiting for AF in a dark room).

Yes, I have used film SLRs. I know that digital P&S have bad shutter lag compared to (d)SLRs, but the Canon A540's isn't actually that bad compared to others in its class, even in lower light and whatnot. Unfortunately, I don't really have a choice, as I don't have the money for a dSLR, plus photography is just a hobby for me, not a profession, so I don't make any money from it (at least not yet).

My camera is adequate for my needs as of right now. It's actually pretty feature rich with manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, and program modes, so it's a little more than just point-and-shoot.

Yes, Christie Photo, they all do it. As you probably already know, the problem is that digital cameras are little computers, and they need to do a lot of calculating before making the exposure. A more sophisticated camera (like the digital SLRs) will record the data and then process it right after the exposure.

Oh, not sure if this helps. On some of the Canons, depressing the shutter half-way means that at least it's focused, done a light meter reading, and has possibly already decided on the white-balance. It will shorten your shutter lag.

My camera is adequate for my needs as of right now. It's actually pretty feature rich with manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, and program modes, so it's a little more than just point-and-shoot.
Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you camera is a toy or anything less than a good camera. P&S is a term I often use to describe non-SLR digital cameras....many of which are pretty good, especially when used in good light.

Once you get into the "slr-like" cameras, yes the shutter lag does decrease, but at that point, I don't see a point because you are close to the size of a dSLR, and close to the price. If you are looking at p&s cameras for their small size and portability, you've lost it in the slr-like cameras.

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you camera is a toy or anything less than a good camera. P&S is a term I often use to describe non-SLR digital cameras....many of which are pretty good, especially when used in good light.

It's fine, don't worry about it. I'm not offended easily :D. I would really like a dSLR, but unfortunately it's simply not an option right now. I do think that what I've got right now is great, for my needs. There are quirks though (like shutter lag).

Christie Photo, that camera looks pretty good, but it doesn't seem to have any manual controls, and it looks like there's some noise problems as well
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ1K/4505-6501_7-31736746.html

I think that Canon makes the best compacts, but here's a list of some that CNet thought were good. http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-6509044.html?tag=txt

My wife has a Sony Cyber shot... while there is a delay (which she hates) I simply tell her... "the delay is for the camera to focus, once it is focused push it the rest of the way and snap".

From what I learned when shopping for it the sony's seem to have the least painful delay.

good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back