Do they ALL do that?!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Christie Photo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Being a photographer, I'm often asked for a recommendation on camera purchase. My good friend just asked me about point-and-shoots. I started to wade through the ads and decided to call Canon directly.

The one point-and-shoot in my house (my wife's) is the only one I've ever handled. One thing I HATED about it was a delay between the time I pressed the shutter release and the time the shutter tripped. Canon told me ALL their point-and-shoots operate that way. So did Nikon.

Does anyone make a camera without this frustration?

Thanks.
    Pete

2. Peacemaker636

Peacemaker636 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got a Canon A540 and it does delay. It doesn't bother me too much though.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you used a DSLR, or even a film SLR...or even a film P&S? If not, then the delay might not bother you. However, if you are used to the almost instant response from a camera...then that little delay seems like it's a year.

Sorry Pete...all the digicams I've used are terrible...and even worse depending on the situation (waiting for AF in a dark room).

4. Peacemaker636

Peacemaker636 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I have used film SLRs. I know that digital P&S have bad shutter lag compared to (d)SLRs, but the Canon A540's isn't actually that bad compared to others in its class, even in lower light and whatnot. Unfortunately, I don't really have a choice, as I don't have the money for a dSLR, plus photography is just a hobby for me, not a profession, so I don't make any money from it (at least not yet).

My camera is adequate for my needs as of right now. It's actually pretty feature rich with manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, and program modes, so it's a little more than just point-and-shoot.

5. Yes, Christie Photo, they all do it. As you probably already know, the problem is that digital cameras are little computers, and they need to do a lot of calculating before making the exposure. A more sophisticated camera (like the digital SLRs) will record the data and then process it right after the exposure.

6. Oh, not sure if this helps. On some of the Canons, depressing the shutter half-way means that at least it's focused, done a light meter reading, and has possibly already decided on the white-balance. It will shorten your shutter lag.

7. Christie Photo

Thanks to all for the imput!

Pete

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you camera is a toy or anything less than a good camera. P&S is a term I often use to describe non-SLR digital cameras....many of which are pretty good, especially when used in good light.

9. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Are the Panasonic/Leica PS any better with shutter delay that the others?

10. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Once you get into the "slr-like" cameras, yes the shutter lag does decrease, but at that point, I don't see a point because you are close to the size of a dSLR, and close to the price. If you are looking at p&s cameras for their small size and portability, you've lost it in the slr-like cameras.

11. Christie Photo

12. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit