Do you actually feel your photography is improving?

Everytime I go out and shoot, I always go out thinking not only to improve ... but also give some thought on how to improve. Been doing this improvement process since the 1960's ... one day it should take hold.
There's the ticket!

I'm like Peeb, I don't really think about it one way or the other anymore. There was a point about a year ago, when I felt like I had hit a wall, I was so worried about not improving, that it was dragging me down. Then I realized that I'm not in it for compensation or competition with anyone (including myself), and my life changed. I look photography like a journey with no destination in mind, every time I see a new technique/process, it's like finding an interesting road to explore. I go, I look, I spend as much or as little time as I like before I'm on to the next adventure. If I learn something or improve great, if not there's another road just ahead.

I'm like Peeb, I don't really think about it one way or the other anymore. There was a point about a year ago, when I felt like I had hit a wall, I was so worried about not improving, that it was dragging me down. Then I realized that I'm not in it for compensation or competition with anyone (including myself), and my life changed. I look photography like a journey with no destination in mind, every time I see a new technique/process, it's like finding an interesting road to explore. I go, I look, I spend as much or as little time as I like before I'm on to the next adventure. If I learn something or improve great, if not there's another road just ahead.
Not me, I'm too competitive. When there are other photogs around me ... I really ramp it up mentally and physically.

Not me, I'm too competitive. When there are other photogs around me ... I really ramp it up mentally and physically.
The 'alpha' photog!! :D

It must have served you well- I really respect the work you've shared.

Not me, I'm too competitive. When there are other photogs around me ... I really ramp it up mentally and

I bet you're one of those guys that argue over who has the biggest aperture or the longest focal length :biggrin-new:

Not me, I'm too competitive. When there are other photogs around me ... I really ramp it up mentally and

I bet you're one of those guys that argue over who has the biggest aperture or the longest focal length :biggrin-new:

I might not have the biggest lens, but my girlfriend likes my photos.

Not sure what 'improve' means. I learnt to control my cameras 40-odd years ago. There is a bit to learn with each new camera but not a lot. My work is certainly changing as I am becoming more abstract in many ways which is a million miles away from the industrial archeology of the 1970s.

My method if judging my pictures has changed as well. I now rely on local artists accepting my pictures into their exhibitions - big advantage is that most artists could not care less about 'tack sharp'.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Can you please give an example of getting more abstract?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Not sure what 'improve' means. I learnt to control my cameras 40-odd years ago. There is a bit to learn with each new camera but not a lot. My work is certainly changing as I am becoming more abstract in many ways which is a million miles away from the industrial archeology of the 1970s.

My method if judging my pictures has changed as well. I now rely on local artists accepting my pictures into their exhibitions - big advantage is that most artists could not care less about 'tack sharp'.

At the last exhibition I contributed to my picture was of the force pump on a rusty diesel tractor engine, along with the associated pipework.

At our September exhibition I have two pictures: old ropes hanging over the side of a derelict trawler and a a person on a bridge over the Witham in thick fog - thick enough that it is just vague shapes.

I'm not going to post them as they are commercially viable pictures but you are welcome to come to the Usher gallery in Lincoln next week to see them yourself.

At the last exhibition I contributed to my picture was of the force pump on a rusty diesel tractor engine, along with the associated pipework.

At our September exhibition I have two pictures: old ropes hanging over the side of a derelict trawler and a a person on a bridge over the Witham in thick fog - thick enough that it is just vague shapes.

I'm not going to post them as they are commercially viable pictures but you are welcome to come to the Usher gallery in Lincoln next week to see them yourself.

Thanks. I get the idea.

As part of my growth in photography, there are two things I'm looking at next - one is story telling and another is learning the technical aspects (lighting etc).

As part of one im starting to visit galleries. Some are straightforward - landscape etc. The other is the abstract ones (same with paintings). I'm not sure how to "see" it, is it left to the interpretation of the viewer or does the artist have a particular idea that is captured in abstract forms of photography?

As part of my growth in photography, there are two things I'm looking at next - one is story telling and another is learning the technical aspects (lighting etc).

As part of one im starting to visit galleries. Some are straightforward - landscape etc. The other is the abstract ones (same with paintings). I'm not sure how to "see" it, is it left to the interpretation of the viewer or does the artist have a particular idea that is captured in abstract forms of photography?
Yes. Both. Art is always a collaboration between artist and viewer - each contributes to the conversation.

Most reactions

Back