Do you actually feel your photography is improving?

I have every year less and less "keepers". I guess I am improving. Somewhere...

Back on post, and along the same lines as you stated, I've become more knowledgeable and more skilled at judging my work and making adjustments. Does that count as improvement???

Timor- It's possible that you have less keepers because you're more critical of your own work. Or because you're more confidant in getting the shot in one instead of 20.

Smoke- I think that's a huge step in the process of becoming better.
Wait! There are people who actually only take ONE shot of a scene??? I can take an easy dozen ( and not in burst mode either! ). I hope I never get that confident. I am not a betting person:05.18-flustered:
Yeah, film is expensive nowadays. But that depends on what you are shooting. Me, I shoot mostly static objects, I have time to study them and look for the best angles. How AA said, I visualize. :1219: Action photography is different.

I have every year less and less "keepers". I guess I am improving. Somewhere...
I am getting more keepers, higher percentage, because I've move from shooting in continuous mode to single shot ... from shooting with a digital camera (reactionarily) to shooting as if I had a film camera (anticipatorily). I'm shooting with greater thought, more preplanning, waiting for the peak of action ... single frame. Click.

I have to say my knowledge has improved at least. I now know my old point and shoot had controls I never knew about until I got my dslr:biglaugh:

That's funny. I learned the same thing. Was just joking about this yesterday.

I'm improving but it's not all me. I have access to better clients with bigger budgets as I go along.
I work with a better team of Stylists and MUA. I'm better at organising and able to have access to better models for test shots. My old stuff was technically proficient but lacked pizazz and confidence. My newer stuff conveys better emotional response and doesn't just merely get things sharp and nicely lit.

When I go back and look at my early work on Flickr, I'm embarrassed.

My albums of stuff shot on film are better, but it's because I never kept most of that stuff. The few I did keep aren't that bad, but they aren't nearly as good as I can do now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back