Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:lol:
By protection I mean; mace, pepper spray, knife, gun, tazer, etc?

I ask because I am a chicken when it comes to "iffy" areas that I would love to shoot in but am worried about my gear attracting unwanted attention (i.e. mugging). I have never carried anything for protection before and doubt I would start now but I am wondering if alot of photographers do or if people are just braver then I am?

I ask because I am a chicken when it comes to "iffy" areas that I would love to shoot in but am worried about my gear attracting unwanted attention (i.e. mugging). I have never carried anything for protection before and doubt I would start now but I am wondering if alot of photographers do or if people are just braver then I am?

No, I never carry protection, because if it becomes necessary then you have already messed up, through poor decision-making and any protection that you are carrying will not really help.

Having done photojournalism, I do not carry a lot of equipment into some areas. Getting the shot can be done with a small compact or pocket camera with a wide angle 2.8 fixed zoom to telephoto. (I have both, as well as DSLRs) Even with a DSLR, I put an all purpose 2.8 zoom on it and carry it in a small anonymous case when I am not using it.

Don't look like a victim and plan what you are going to wear. I was totally left alone in one area, because I was mistaken for an undercover cop. Avoid rings and fancy watches. Don't look like a college kid. Avoid photographing alone in some areas. I have always had a well-trained larger dog that I can take with me too. Take a look closely at the area before you even enter it and don't get tunnel vision when you take pictures. Always be aware of what is happening all around you.

Just a few pointers, I am sure that others can help as well.

skieur

Never have and never will. The only problem I've ever had was with a group of drunks when I was shooting a full moon over a church. It was late and not many people were out. The problem didn't get physical and I'll probably take photos at night at the church again.

There are a lot of "punk" kids in my area and around the places I sometimes shoot. I'm never too worried but I do generally do keep a blade in my pocket just for reassurance. I am disabled though and when it comes to fighting, only one of my arms is capable of doing anything. I guess the thought of having a blade in that hand might help the situation if it were to ever come up.

Thinking about it, I bet a lot of nature phootographers carry a knife on them or in their camera bag for general survivor gear and cutting things... Hmm, maybe because mine is a butterfly knife I feel its more protection aimed though I have only pulled it out for general purposes

On knives - from what I have heard most people that are stabbed with a knife are stabbed with their own knife. I would say that unless your Crocodile Dundee and own a "proper" knife and know how to use it then its not going to be any safer with or without one and having one might earn you yet more trouble

as for nature photographers - that knife is more for cutting back bits of plant and cutting other things - I very much doubt that its for defence ;)

Last edited:
Ya know, i always heard that to lol.

Thats the general purposes i usually use mine for as well. Though I am skilled with my blade (but then again, its a butterfly knife and by skilled i mean all the fancy twirling and trickery... probably not helpful in a real "fight") the 13 and 14 year old kids who mess with people around here would move on by the site of it I think. Anyone I dont think I could handle with it would probably get a free camera from me if they really pursued it after perhaps a small confrontation with the knife securely hidden and unused.

:) brain power will beat any weapon i think

No, I never carry protection, because if it becomes necessary then you have already messed up, through poor decision-making and any protection that you are carrying will not really help.
Right, because muggers use logic? Um...

I am not a trained knife fighter, and until I am, I do not carry a knife. I thought about a stun gun, but if someone grabs me it's useless. I thought about an air taser, but they're way too expensive. So I carry mace, all the time when I'm out shooting. Its an easy, cheap, and effective insurance policy to protect myself and my gear. I don't see a reason not to carry it.

Not yet. I've got my paperwork ready for my permit to carry, but have to wait until September (I'm not quite 21 yet). To me, it's not even a matter of protecting myself during photography sessions in bad areas, it's a matter of protecting myself, period. Honestly, if I'm in a bad area (or even a good area, for that matter) and things go downhill, and my life becomes in serious danger, I'm not going to let that happen. I could go on forever on this subject, but I'll save you the rant :p

as for nature photographers - that knife is more for cutting back bits of plant and cutting other things - I very much doubt that its for defence ;)

:thumbup::thumbup: Right you are! If i ever have one, its because i know i'll need it for this reason.

I vaguely recall seeing a thread like this a long while back.

Regardless of whether I were doing photography or not, I'd carry. The problem is my local laws make it illegal for me to defend myself from harm in any reasonable or logical way. (I live in New York City)

I have always wanted to carry but never had the Balls and now with a toddler in the house I dont think I need somthing else to worry about but ai still worry about prtecting my family . I t is a catch 22 situation I guess I still choose not too because I dont want the responsibility of possibly having to take another human life.!!!

I always have at least one knife on me (usually two), plus another in my camera bag (plus a multi-tool, that has a knife on it).

So, if I have my bag with me - I have at least 4 blades to choose from.

I don't carry any of them for protection though... They're just tools.

There is only one time that I can remember taking a gun with me for the specific purpose of defending myself. There have been plenty of other times that I had a gun - but like the knives, it wasn't for protection.

I live in Az so yeah I carry. Out in the open even. Im mostly in the back country anyhow. I have only had to shoot a couple of critters over 20 some years. Two of them were rabid and another chose to attack despite my discharging a round in the ground in front of it. I also carry a knife. To me they are merely tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back