Do You carry your softbox and monolight to different location?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wonder if it worth to carry a softbox and a monolight around to get soft light and shadow on the subject. I don't think I would want to dissemble the softbox to make it compacts and reassemble to different location.

Bro, I'm so dedicated to not dissembling anything that I do cardio and endurance training specifically so I can carry all my pre-assembled crap everywhere.

Putting stuff together (without an assistant) on location?

njAjh98E1PUha.gif

My flashpoint softbox comes with a bag. I have to dissemble and put it in the bag. That is the only way it fit. Still, kind of useless having a bag.

I have two portable soft boxes with clamps for speed lights. I take them many places and have even flown with them in carry-on luggage.

I use umbrella style softboxes that pop open like an umbrella. Takes 30 secs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use speedlights and brollys/umbrella softboxes. Very fast and easy to set up.

brollys are awesome for portability, but suck for wind. if you have ones with a diffusion panel that's probably the best compromise.

otherwise, I cant quickly pull the rods from the speedring on my huge 36x48" softboxes and at least flatten them and toss them in the back seat.

I wouldn't bother breaking down a 16x61 or 24x24 softbox.

Photo May 04, 2 22 24 PM.jpg

It's not lazy, its...uh...efficient.

I have a 24x24 softbox that I will TAKE with me to location shoots, already set up, and with the flashhead already mounted. I have a small wagon type car, and with the back seats folded down, the softbox rides in there really great. But I actually prefer umbrella boxes for this: EASIER to set up, faster to set up, and 50 times easier to carry. I have a small hand-truck type cart, with a large rectangular carrying bed that carries an 18-pound Tronix Explorer battery/sine wave inverter, and either a D402 or D202 power supply, and two flash heads most often, one to use, and an MW3U as a backup or fill/background light. This stuff is my "cheap" "oh, well, if it gets stolen,no biggie" location lighting gear. The 18 pound sine wave inverter and the 5- or 14-pound battery packs act as ballast for the hand truck, and a 9-foot light stand is mounted to the upright (collapsible/lock-able/) handles on the hand truck, so I can move the inverter/power pack/lightstand/light head as one, single wheeled unit. With the 18 lb. inverter +14 lbs. power supply acting as ballast, it is wind-proof.

I have my assistant(s) to assemble the boxes for me lol :D I can also do it myself since it takes just a few minutes. I use the Flashpoint Rovelight 600ws which has an internal battery so it's really easy to carry around. The heaviest piece of equipment is the Avenger c-stand which weighs almost 20lbs when I add all the extensions. :eek:

I have my assistant(s) to assemble the boxes for me lol :D I can also do it myself since it takes just a few minutes. I use the Flashpoint Rovelight 600ws which has an internal battery so it's really easy to carry around. The heaviest piece of equipment is the Avenger c-stand which weighs almost 20lbs when I add all the extensions. :eek:

How is your experience with Flashpoint Rovelight 600ws?

It's decent. The remote that comes with the light is unreliable. I use my own triggers. It's not powerful enough to balance out full sun but decent enough during golden hours. It's kind of nice not to carry extra stuff when working at remote locations.

It's decent. The remote that comes with the light is unreliable. I use my own triggers. It's not powerful enough to balance out full sun but decent enough during golden hours. It's kind of nice not to carry extra stuff when working at remote locations.

I am just wondering if you tried to exchange your unit or transmitter for that matter?

What would be an alternative to Roverlight in the same price range?

Thank you for your reply !!!!!

Thank you Vtec44 for the info,
That is exactly why i would like to buy this unit, for on location photogaprhy since there is no wires and can be easily be hand held by an assistant and put away as fast in locations where photography is not allowed. However i was told by a few to purchase P. Buff instead. I know that the second choice might be one of the best studio lights with its color consistency and really fast recycling and so on but, i think, heavy, bulky, wires and battery....

Thank you Vtec44 for the info,
That is exactly why i would like to buy this unit, for on location photogaprhy since there is no wires and can be easily be hand held by an assistant and put away as fast in locations where photography is not allowed. However i was told by a few to purchase P. Buff instead. I know that the second choice might be one of the best studio lights with its color consistency and really fast recycling and so on but, i think, heavy, bulky, wires and battery....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back