Do you ever use Auto White Balance?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Senor Hound, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking on dpreview.com (I know, I know), and they were showing the ability (or lack thereof) of certain cameras to adjust in their auto setting. Most of them don't do very well, leaving the images horribly warm in their auto detection. But that's some chart, not reality, and a camera is not a piece of science to be used in some lab.

So, does anyone use Auto WB when taking a photo? If so, do you see a problem with the balance on it when you're shooting? I forget to change mine a lot, so I like the idea of Auto WB, but it seems I might be shooting myself in the foot if I make a habit out of this.

Any experience with this is greatly appreciated.

2. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot auto wb most of the time. My Canon 5D does a great job most of the time, and I always shoot in raw so if there's an adjustment it's no big deal.

3. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

It depends on what/how I'm shooting, Senor. If it's tripod or set up work I set the WB. If it's event, sports, or journalistic photography I set the AWB.
    But in any case I always shoot RAW, so the WB is adjustable in PP anyway.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with the above 2 - its auto most of the time unless I really have the time to prepare and take a shot (like macro work). But as I also shoot in RAW if the auto makes a mess I can alter it around :)

5. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always use auto white balance.

If it comes out wrong it's easy to change later. If I know (or suspect) that it's going to come out wrong, I take a picture of a gray card under the same lighting conditions and use that as a reference to change it later.

I used to do custom white balances when needed, but my LCD is broken and I can't really afford to get it fixed right now. Changing white balance or using a custom white balance is a pain in the ass when you can't see the menus on the camera. Fixing it later is easier/faster anyway.

6. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I set my own white balance, but as stated above, I shoot in raw and can make adjustments if I'm a little off.

7. I always use AWB, unless I'm in a fixed environment or a studio. Even then, I'd jsut shoot a grey card and then bulk adjust later.

... I don't shoot commercially though, in that case I would probably control WB during the shoot to reduce the amount of work afterward.

8. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a lazy so-and-so, so I always use Auto White Balance unless I'm absolutely sure it needs changing. Then I might switch to Tungsten if I'm in my home, Flourescent if I'm in an office. I hardly ever use the Sunshine, Cloud, Shade or Flash WBs, though.

9. RebelTasha

RebelTasha TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I too always use AWB, sometimes rarely it is a little off or I change it to taste but normally I find it very reliable :)
    I think it is the only Auto feature I really rely on.

10. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    depends on how hungover I am.

I like to adjust when I'm flashing people though. I hate seeing blue when I don't want blue.

11. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always leave mine on Daylight. I come from film, I know what it looks like. Auto WB is a guessing game that my D200 gets on the purple side of things all too often.

But anyway I shoot in RAW.

12. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used to work for a big studio and they always went through an exact process of white balancing. And then they always adjusted it in post, seemed kind of a waste of time to me.