Do you ever use Auto White Balance?

It's actually a good thing to adjust in camera. If you get it as accurate as possible, you don't have to mess with it in post.

But generally, AWB sucks donkey doo. It really can't make a distinction in lights with drastic temp differences. Don't believe me? Shoot sodium, flourescent, and day light then see how well you can tell which light is which.

What's really fun is if you start playing with flashes, gels, and white balance. Set WB for your standard interior lights, gel your main flash, and leave your background flash ungelled.

White light on your subject and a cool blue background with your bare flash.

All you people shooting in Raw make me jealous with my point and shoot. But you all gave the answer I was looking for. I think I might just stick with one setting, if for no reason other than to get uniform results...

I use Auto WB all the time at pres (I tend to shoot as jpeg though) i left it for a while on daylight and did not help at that setting on few pics cause I forgot to change it (night shots) but then again it helped on some moon shots I did lol

When i don't shoot RAW, i use auto-wb and it is spot-on 99% of the time. If it is a tricky indoors scene, i switch to RAW and think about wb later.

I measure myself. It is just a habit I have. I shoot RAW too so I can adjust if needed.

Just have to laugh at everyone bragging about how they shoot RAW so it's no big deal.

I can only shoot JPEG, and I can still adjust WB in a graphics editor.

Why is "I shoot RAW" such an e-penis enlarger in this forum?

Just have to laugh at everyone bragging about how they shoot RAW so it's no big deal.

I can only shoot JPEG, and I can still adjust WB in a graphics editor.

Nailing perfect WB in post is two clicks for me in DxO software from JPEGs and it looks perfectly fine. I have no clue why so many shoot RAW just for WB adjustments. I shoot JPEG and it's no big deal to fix WB. One of the biggest myths I've seen floating around these forums is that you have to shoot RAW just to adjust WB in post. Nope.

I have edited JPEG and RAW for white balance and whilst it can be done for both I have found that from RAW you get better and easier results than from JPEG on average

You haven't seen my e-penis then.

I leave my WB on 'cloudy.' I rarely shoot anything but landscapes/outdoors, so WB has never been an issue. I set colorspace and light and dark points in my RAW files and convert to .tif. I shoot RAW + jpeg so I have jpg files to use for my web targeted doc files I shoot. I know this is OT, but I had to justify my wisecrack with this extended comment.

All you people shooting in Raw make me jealous with my point and shoot. But you all gave the answer I was looking for. I think I might just stick with one setting, if for no reason other than to get uniform results...

You can always load JPEG's into Photoshop's Camera Raw editor and play with the WB and all the sliders in there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back